New Member from Farmingdale, New York

12 Replies

Hey everyone! My name's Jerry Quintiliano. I'm so happy to be introducing myself to the Bigger Pockets community. I'm a real estate attorney in New York. My office is in Queens County. 

Ever since high school I've set a goal to become financially free. It wasn't until law school that I first heard the phrase "financial freedom," but the concept had always stuck with me. I believe real estate is my best vehicle to having the life I want. 

Right now I'm searching for my first multifamily home. I look forward to the hunt every day and I can't wait to add my FIRST investment deal to my Bigger Pockets profile. 

Hears to all the entrepreneurs and the journeys ahead! 

@Jerry Quintiliano Welcome to BP!

If you haven’t already listened to the podcasts I’d start there.

Podcasts

Episode 108 - Grant Cardone... Just listen…

Episode 283 Paul Thompson - Quite a new episode but I would think everyone would agree this is a top episode. Mainly, the systems implemented are fascinating (VA, automated offers, etc.) Plus...escape velocity...

Episode 113Jay Papasan - Very practical slow and steady advice

Episode 221 - Tim Shiner - his concept of equity build up and "shearing the sheep" shows some of the flexibility of real estate vs a 401k

Last but not least, I also recommend all the tax advice given by my fellow CPAs on the BP Podcast.

Amanda Han

Brandon Hall

Tax Reform Update – Brandon Hall and Amanda Han

Linda Weygant

Guides

Ultimate Beginners Guide

Forum Stickies

BP Calculators or spreadsheets uploaded by members

My Favorite Books

I have to say all of the BP books…right? :)

The Millionaire Next Door

The Millionaire Real Estate Investor

What Every Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow

Hope this information can give you a good start. Feel free to reach out with any questions. 

@Jerry Quintiliano Welcome to BP community and congratulations on deciding to invest in RE! I wanted to share a few points.

1) Since you mentioned you want to start with MFH investing, but didn't specify the location, I'm assuming you're looking locally. NY-NJ market is pretty competitive. While it is possible to find a deal, it really depends on how conservative you're whether a potential deal will or will not make financial sense in your case. 

2) Have you decided for yourself on how active or passive you'd like to be? In other words, how many hours/week are you willing and realistically have to spend on RE business? Your answer may lead you towards either more passive or active route and you should take it to the next level by exploring the opportunities available at each route. 

Happy to share my experience offline. Feel free to PM me if interested. 

Best of luck!

Hi Alina,

Thank you for the kind words and advice. And yes, I want to invest locally. Preferably Nassau County. 

As of right now, I've never thought about exactly how much time I want to devote. So far I've just been spending time going to open houses, meeting with a few brokers, and attending networking events. I could devote 10 to 15 hours per week. I wouldn't want to spend more than 20 hours. 

Welcome to BP from Bethpage.... Goodluck on your venture in Nassau County. As I'm sure you already know it is very hard to find a deal that makes sense with the high property taxes in the county.

Hey @Jerry Quintiliano ,

Welcome to BP!

Glad to see people in the area getting involved on the forums... great place to gather info as well as get awesome book & podcast suggestions (@Account Closed ). Not to mention you can network with other investors and RE professionals.

Where in Queens is your office located?

Best of luck to you moving forward!

Abel

Hi Jerry,

Nice to meet you. What aspect of real estate law do you practice? I buy/sell properties in Queens/Brooklyn sometimes and need an transactional attorney. Also, I can help you out if you have any questions on finding the returns you're looking for in certain areas of Queens.

Hi @John C.

Our firm handles every aspect of real estate transactions. We mostly represent buyers and sellers in residential houses, apartments, condos, and coops. 

And thank you for the offer, but I am mostly interested in Nassau and Suffolk county for my first deal. Although I'll keep Queens on my radar just in case. 

Originally posted by @Jerry Quintiliano :

@Abel Curiel

Hi Able!

Thank you for the kind words. My office is located in Forest Hills, on Queens Boulevard. 

Thats awesome... I live near Forest Hills stadium. Let me know if you'd like to chat some more! I'm usually in the area.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you