Hello BP! I'm new to REI and I am living in Syracuse, NY

16 Replies

Hello everyone! My name is Landon Rasmussen and I live in DeWitt, NY which is a suburb of Syracuse. I have an amazing wife, two daughters, and two little dogs. My main hobby is competitive olympic style weightlifting. I've been an athlete my whole life and I absolutely love it, so if you want to talk about training and competing shoot me a message! My wife is a 1st grade teacher, and I've worked for my families earth moving/construction company my whole life. I love what I do and I'm looking to add to my income via REI. I've been interested in REI for some time and once I came across BP I became a bit obsessed with learning as much as I can as quickly as I can. I'm here to learn and to be part of the community. Thanks for reading!

Welcome to the BP community Landon! You've come to the right place to learn a lot about REI. I can recommend you a list of books to get another source of education to kick start your real estate investing career. Don't hesitate to message me if you want some help getting started or to do some business together.

@Landon Rasmussen Currently I run a local brokerage and management company, so we are all over the place with different clients. But, I personally have been a fan of the East Syracuse and Northside lately based on the opportunities. I’m also  interested in the Solvay area, there’s a lot of missed opportunities there! 

@Esmir O. I don't know much about Solvay. I grew up in Georgetown, NY but moved to DeWitt once my wife and I were married so outside of the East Syracuse, Minoa, Fayetteville, Manlius, Jamesville area I'm a bit lost. Haha. What makes Solvay fly under the radar? What types of properties are being overlooked?

a lot of multi in solvay and a lot of really investor's moving out. Solvay electric is a huge bonus to renters. Solvay rentals do not last long. Down side is the village tax and the noticed they leave if your trash can is in the wrong place. Good luck .

Landon, I own a construction company and property management company in NY. I have seen that the largest problem most have is finding competent contractors to flip their properties. Let me know if you'd like to partner on a deal in the future perhaps, let me know what kind of construction you're familiar with. We run 16 guys right now and the toughest to find are good drywall finishers and good trim finishers. 

@Will Chamberlin Yeah I plan to attend the one tomorrow evening. I'm excited to meet some people and connect a bit. What do you know about them? I'm a bit nervous to go because my experience with REI is very minimal at this point haha. I'm very excited about the potential in my area though and hope to buy a property in the near future.

Hi Landon. Definitely plan on attending the meet-up. It’s very informal and everyone is extremely friendly and helpful. Will was the one that actually started it a few years back to get together with a few BPers and it was really nice to make some connections. Rob has done a great job keeping it going. I’ll be there and hope to see you!

@Landon Rasmussen - Thanks for connecting with me Landon.  As Jamie mentioned, it's very informal and everyone is there to help everyone else.  With your earth moving/construction background, you'll def be a resource for others there. Everyone brings something different to the table so don't be nervous.  I look forward to seeing you there!

@Jamie Heath - Thanks for the comment Jamie, and you're right about Will coming up with the idea a couple years back and you and I meeting there. It's my pleasure to keep this group going and growing if at all possible.  See you this evening!

@Will Chamberlin - Thanks for the plug Will, you started the concept as a casual meeting and taught me the possibilities inherent in meeting locally.  Just bummed you can't make it back to this area as often as I would like to see you as you're a mover and shaker in the area. Hope your properties are going well for you and give me a shout when you're headed back this way.  Our Sept meeting will be on Sept 4th if you can make it.

@Ronald Starusnak - Hey Ron.  Def looking forward to meeting you tonight. There will be a number of people there that might be interested in your talents and capabilities for their projects.

@Landon Rasmussen , definitely a great group of people to hang out with. Nobody is selling anything, just talking shop and sharing experiences. I always have an awesome time with this crew.

@Rob Sawyer  Sadly I will be getting in to the cuse on Sept 5th this trip because of the holiday/work. That is also assuming closing goes as expected next week. Going to be in town for a couple weeks, though, so happy to do an ad hoc happy hour if people are up for it. Also open to giving a tour of the house should anyone want to see something mid-project. Old farmhouse-style 3-family that we are hopefully just updating and renting out in Camillus.

@Will Chamberlin - No sweat Will and let's def hang out while you're here. As you know, I would be very interested in seeing your projects in whatever stage they are in as I always learn a lot and get an idea of what I'm facing moving forward. Happy hours are a wonderful thing and we'll see if we can't get a couple together while you're here.

Hope your closing goes smoothly and your sked stays on track.  Take it easy and see you next month!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you