A quick introduction

15 Replies

Hey guys, I'm new on BiggerPockets and just wanted to give a quick hello and introduce myself.  My name is Steve Sarro, I'm a carpenter originally from the SF Bay Area and I've been living in Louisville, KY for the past two years.  I relocated due to crazy housing costs and I love my new city!  I've been successfully self-employed as a handyman/carpenter since I arrived and I'm excited about getting involved with real estate investing.  I'm still in the process of educating myself about the basics, but I hope to eventually use my skills and knowledge as a builder to gain "sweat equity" in my future investments.  I'm interested in networking with other builders-turned-investors, Kentucky/Indiana investors, and anyone with valuable advice and insight.  See you around!

@Steve Sarro welcome to REI and the BP community. You have definitely come to the right place to learn all about REI. Go to your local REIA meetings. They have a great group up there. Good luck in all your future REI ventures.

@Dan Barli   Hey Dan!  At this stage I think it makes sense for me to generate income and build capital, so I might focus on creative wholesaling until I have the means to acquire a property I can flip and get the ball rolling.

@Jim Wilcox Hey Jim!  Thanks, I'm planning on attending some local meetups I see coming up in the next few weeks.

@Jordan Moorhead Hey Jordan! I'd love to ultimately be able to do the BRRRR method, but my biggest hurdle will be getting loans without being a W-2 employee. Currently seeking a workaround for that issue...

Welcome @Steve Sarro ! You'll have lots of contacts from BiggerPockets, for sure!

Also be sure to attend your local REIA meetings which you can find on NationalREIA.com and find any local investors you can through MeetUp.com.

The big caution here is that all real estate is local so you need to make local contacts and have locals to work with. Also, some of the information you'll find here may not be accurate (legal) in your state. Much real estate law varies by state.

Good luck to you!

@Steve Sarro - I just moved to Louisville as well and attended my first KREIA meeting this week.  It was great.  Small group with lots of experienced folks willing to help newcomers.  I hope to meet you at a meeting sometime soon.   

Hello! @Steve Sarro

Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent. There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you