Newbie from Pittsburgh investing in multi-family short-term

8 Replies

Hi everyone,

I'm Andrew from Pittsburgh, PA. I'm thrilled to have recenlty moved back here after 9 years away in New Hampshire. I'm excited to continously learn, network and make new friends as I embark on my new real estate investing journey. As of today, my immediate actions to move forward are to propose an offer on a multi-family property, close, furnish and landscape with the goal of short-term rental income.

Looking forward to connecting!

Thank you,

Andrew

@Andrew Mercer Welcome back! You'll have to let us know how you do with the short term strategy if you end up going that route. Curious as to how much demand/income you'd be able to reel in going that route here.

Thank you everyone! To my western PA sensibilities, the market in NH seemed to be prohibitively over-inflated, but I ended up unintentionally flipping my primary home up there for a decent return. 

The property I'm offering on is currently zoned as a tri-plex in the city of Pittsburgh. As it is currently configured, it consists of 2 separate houses (1 large and 1 small), but the large house has been split in the past and the small one has additional space that another unit could be added. The thinking behind this is that I'll have some options for the STR side of things, but different paths I could follow if that doesn't work out. Does anyone know if if I would run into any zoning issues if I have 2 separate houses on one property, both of which are converted to duplexes?

@Andrew Mercer its highly unlikely that you will be able to add another unit so before you start anything research with the local code enforcement office to check if there are occupancy permits for the existing 3 units and if a fourth can be added. Most of the time its difficult but you have to do your research.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you