New Blood! REI + Realtor in Southwest Michigan (St. Joseph)

17 Replies

Hello! I am a Michigan native currently living in St Joseph and actively learning as much as possible about real estate investment. In my day to day, I am a real estate agent helping people make their next move or investment in Southwest Michigan (SWMI). In addition to being an agent, my husband and I are getting into REI and hoping to buy a small 2-4 unit multi-family property in the area within the next 6 months. I'd love to connect with anyone who is looking for like minded people. I've done some research and have been struggling to find a REI meetup in SWMI so if this is something you'd be interested in, please let me know. Looking forward to meeting you!

Welcome, Rachael! Your real estate background will be a big help as you shift to investing....and a huge benefit in the forums here ;)

I'm not super familiar with the SWMI area, but it sounds like you've given a lot of thought to your strategy and the neighborhoods where you want to execute. I recommend setting up keyword alerts for your area so you can start engaging with conversations in the forum that center on those neighborhoods - that can be a great way to connect with like minded folks pretty quickly.

Also, f you haven't subscribed to the Bigger Pockets podcast yet, I can't recommend it highly enough. I lurked in the forums and listened to the podcast for several years before making the leap to buying my first property. The education I received through the podcast was invaluable in giving me the knowledge and confidence to do the first deal. Eight properties later and no looking back now!

Best of luck to you and keep all of us posted on your journey!

Hey Rachael, welcome to bigger Pockets, I don’t know of any rei meetups in the area but I would be interested. PM me I may know someone who is selling a duplex in Stevensville.

@Rachael Luce-Ogle Welcome! I'm in GR if you ever want to connect! There are some great meetups and investor classes in the Kalamazoo area and several good meetups/ investor happy hours in GR if you ever want to make the trip! The RPOA of Michigan also does a conference every year at DeVos place that is definitely worth the drive if you are wanting to learn more on the investing side! Best of luck on your endeavors!

@Rachael Luce-Ogle Welcome to BP! 

I'm originally from St. Joe, living on the west coast, and have a couple properties in Kalamazoo. I'm always excited to see my hometown come up in my alerts. I'm sure you will get a good amount of info from you meetup but if you have any questions feel free to reach out. 

Hi @Rachael Luce-Ogle , I see this is an older thread and I'm hoping you're still around on the forums. I'm interested in some markets in your area and I'm curious to hear how your plans have developed. Have you bought any properties yet? What about finding a good local REI club to meet with? I'm not from the area but plan to visit on a semi-regular basis.

Hi @Paul Doty , yes I am still in the St Joseph area. There is a great REI group here that meets regularly (when not sheltering in place :). You can find the group on Facebook by searching SWMI REI (Southwest Michigan REI). Since my original post, I have focused on helping other investors find and purchase properties and building my real estate business. I'd be happy to be a connection or resource if you have questions. Best of luck!

Originally posted by @Rachael Luce-Ogle :

Hi @Paul Doty, yes I am still in the St Joseph area. There is a great REI group here that meets regularly (when not sheltering in place :). You can find the group on Facebook by searching SWMI REI (Southwest Michigan REI). Since my original post, I have focused on helping other investors find and purchase properties and building my real estate business. I'd be happy to be a connection or resource if you have questions. Best of luck!

Thanks for the tip, I found the group on FB and requested to join. I'm not sure when I'll be able to attend a meeting in person, but I'll keep an eye out.

That's great you've been helping people and building your business! Do you work primarily in St. Joseph, or other areas too? 

Welcome! :) My husband and I just closed on our first property in Kalamazoo 2 weeks ago and are also trying to learn as much as we can as we start this new journey. Kalamazoo has a monthly meetup (I think there is a virtual one this upcoming Monday), as well as a "Property Krawl" one Saturday a month led by 2 local investors. I attended once (having a baby makes it hard to get out sometimes) and it was a great group of people. Here's a link to the group: 

https://www.meetup.com/KalamazooREIclub/events/bgrmkrybchbgb/

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you