Canadian Investor looking to Invest in US Real Estate Market

11 Replies

Hey everyone,

My name is Thomas, I've been listening to the BiggerPockets podcast for awhile now. I’m currently living in Ottawa and I’ve been working in property management for almost 4 years now, I’ve also recently graduated university with a business degree.

I’m now looking to invest into real estate of my own. I'm hoping to invest in the US real estate market while living in Canada.

Looking to meet and connect with Canadian investors who've invested in US real estate while living in Canada. I'd love to connect and discuss the different strategies used and implemented.

I’m certainly open to share my property management and investing knowledge that I’ve learnt while working with my family’s real estate investing/property management company.

Looking forward to hearing from you all soon!

P.s I’m certainly on board participating in any local BiggerPockets events in Ottawa or Toronto. I plan to attend OREIO events as well!

Originally posted by @Matt Shields :

Where in the US?

I'm looking in two markets. 

1. Florida

I have know many friends and family members who've invested there from Canada successfully.

2. Dallas, Tx

My brother just recently moved to Dallas and it would certainly make it easier to manage. 

Originally posted by @Matt Shields :

Okay great! I'm in Phoenix, Arizona and work with Canadians. I just thought I would see if you were looking here. Good luck!

Thank you for reaching out. I'll certainly keep that in mind. 

Hi Thomas, 

I'm a newbie investor who's lived in north Dallas for the past 6 months. I'm actively learning about the market in preparation to purchase some single family rentals over the coming years...if you have questions about any specific areas in Dallas-Fort Worth, I am reasonably familiar with most so let me know!

Originally posted by @Thomas Saad :

Hey everyone,

My name is Thomas, I've been listening to the BiggerPockets podcast for awhile now. I’m currently living in Ottawa and I’ve been working in property management for almost 4 years now, I’ve also recently graduated university with a business degree.

I’m now looking to invest into real estate of my own. I'm hoping to invest in the US real estate market while living in Canada.

Looking to meet and connect with Canadian investors who've invested in US real estate while living in Canada. I'd love to connect and discuss the different strategies used and implemented.

I’m certainly open to share my property management and investing knowledge that I’ve learnt while working with my family’s real estate investing/property management company.

P.s I’m certainly on board participating in any local BiggerPockets events in Ottawa or Toronto. I plan to attend OREIO events as well!

You might want to get your entity structure established prior to jumping the gun.  You should reach out to @Elliott Milek , he's a savvy cross border accountant who also invests in US real estate, and resides in the Ottawa area.    

Originally posted by @Kirby Logan :

Hi Thomas, 

I'm a newbie investor who's lived in north Dallas for the past 6 months. I'm actively learning about the market in preparation to purchase some single family rentals over the coming years...if you have questions about any specific areas in Dallas-Fort Worth, I am reasonably familiar with most so let me know!

Thanks for letting me know, I'll be sure to reach out to you in the near future. 

Originally posted by @Chad U. :
Originally posted by @Thomas Saad:

Hey everyone,

You might want to get your entity structure established prior to jumping the gun.  You should reach out to @Elliott Milek , he's a savvy cross border accountant who also invests in US real estate, and resides in the Ottawa area.    

Thank you for letting me know Chad. I've reached out to Elliott.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you