Sick of the rat race and ready to invest!

6 Replies

Hello fellow investors! I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Tairsa, I live in Utah, and I'm so excited to start this real estate journey. My husband and is purchased our first house hack almost two years ago and are preparing to put an offer on a 4plex. I love RE because it's helped both my husband and I find the motivation to get out of debt and have a wonderful financial future. I'm a mom of a beautiful 19 month old boy. I love running, eating and playing the piano. I also have a degree in accounting, but I don't actively work in that field. I'm excited to get to know others on this forum!

Welcome, Tairsa! Way to go on your early investments - I don't really have any regrets about our REI journey, but if I could do it over, I would house hack early and often. Also, running + eating are the best hobbies ;)

If you haven't subscribed to the Bigger Pockets podcast yet, I can't recommend it highly enough. I lurked in the forums and listened to the podcast for several years before making the leap to buying my first property. The education I received through the podcast was invaluable in giving me the knowledge and confidence to do the first deal. Eight properties later and no looking back now!

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your journey! 

@Becca Summers hey there! We were initially looking in the Provo/orem area but my husband has a potential job change that will be taking us to Phoenix. We're currently exploring that market to see if housing prices are more affordable down there as Provo/orem is a little ridiculous.... 🤪

@Tairsa Mathews Sorry I just saw your response. I've heard the Phoneix market is starting to slow down so you can pick stuff up. The thing you'll probably be surprised about going from here to there is they don't have basements or if they do they don't count them in square footage. I've had a lot of clients from Arizona that come to Utah and are shocked that a 4,000 square foot home is 2,000 up and 2,000 down not all on one level. Make the house much smaller here. 

@Tairsa Mathews Congrats on getting in on investing early. You mention that you bought the first house hack 2 years ago and now you are ready to get another. I think buying every 2 years if possible is a great way to start to build a portfolio with out over leveraging yourself.  Have fun on the journey and welcome to BP. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you