Best career to build rental property knowledge

1 Reply

Hey there guys!

I am new to the forum and plan on making my first investment in real estate very soon. 

I just started working as a leasing consultant (background in accounting), but things are disorganized and I have reason to believe they will be replacing a couple of people soon. 

I plan on looking for another job in real estate just in case, and was wondering what type of job in real estate you guys would advise to expand on my understanding of rental properties. I am currently considering the idea of getting certified as an appraiser, but would love to hear your suggestions.

You could probably learn a ton about rentals being a property manager. But I think what is also important is learning and networking. These are more important than being in one particular real estate field, you could work as a property manager but knowing 5 kick butt Property Managers would be even better. Now working in real estate inxreasing the odds of meeting those people. 

Also you need a job that produces enough money to live off of and have extra to invest plus have the flexibility and time to invest and network. So if a non real estate job offers that it is not a necessarily bad choice to pursue it.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you