Newbie from Grand Rapids Michigan

10 Replies

Hello everyone!  

I stumbled across this site looking for reviews on a real estate course I saw ads for on facebook.  The only background I have with real estate is working with many real estate clients as an accountant saving them money on taxes.  My goal is to develop a significant income outside of my current job.  I like the sound of both wholesaling and rentals, but am not currently decided on what aspect of real estate is the best fit for me.

Do your home work, find the avenue that you have a passion for. Ask questions, people are usually more than happy to help. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions regarding multifamily investing.

A great start to learning about REI is the RPOA Annual EXPO at DeVos on Feb 21-23 It's a great event for Networking and learning in various topics. And the best part???? IT'S FREE!!!

I’ll be there, hanging out, networking and always learning so be sure to say hello.  

@Seth Baird , welcome to BP. There is a great community here. I’m looking to get started investing in Grand Rapids, so if you go the wholesaling route, maybe I’ll be a client at a future time.

Welcome to BP.  Spend some time in the forums as you will more than likely make a decision based on other members posts. Good luck!

@Seth Baird   Welcome. Spend time listening to podcast and reading up on different investment strategies . Also attend investor meetings. Good luck 

Hi there, welcome to the community. This is definitely the right place to be. Here's to your success @Seth Baird

Thanks, everyone for all the responses and tips.  I am so excited to see that the members here are so active!  @Paul Leason I'll be sure to attend!

Hey Seth!  Welcome to BP!   Real Estate investment is an exciting way to generate big money!  The key will be education.  Many investors have messed up by jumping into this field with poor knowledge and making poor decisions because of it.  Take your time and learn about all the different options and find something that sounds like a good fit for yourself and your situation.   Building up a good team of advisers and professionals to get sound advice is another great step as well.  Feel free to message me with any questions and I'll be happy to help any way I can.  I'm an expert in the Grand Rapids, Muskegon and West Michigan areas and focus on Foreclosures and Investment Homes.  I'm also looking for a good Real Estate accountant to refer business too so we could have a mutual interest!   Thanks!

Welcome to Bigger Pockets, @Seth Baird !

You'll find plenty of friendly, knowledgeable people willing to help respond to your questions. Many members are experts in their respective fields related to real estate investing, whether that is real estate brokerage, wholesaling, flipping, buy and hold, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, or tax and legal guidance.

There are some pretty cool discounts on various products and services offered as Perks to BP members that you might want to check out: https://www.biggerpockets.com/perks/pro

If you haven’t checked it out already, the Bigger Pockets blog features links to their awesome podcast and many great articles: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/

The site has quite a few tools that can be helpful for new members. For example, if you are looking to connect with other members near you, want to learn from people in a specific area you’d like to invest in, or have a desire to find people interested in certain topics, you could start your search here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users

I really like the alerts feature that can quickly guide you to current topics that might interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

@Seth Baird welcome. I have financed a lot of residential loans in Michigan and I always love to chop it up with a good tax guy!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here