Intro post from Danville, VA

3 Replies

Hello, everyone.  I've been a member of Bigger Pockets for nearly a year.  I've read many discussions in the forums, but I have yet to make my first post even though Brandon Turner says to do so in nearly every BP Podcast episode.  So here I am finally!  

A little about me: I am Lee Carter, and I've been wanting to get involved with buy and hold residential rentals since I was about 10 years old. My grandfather owns a dozen or so rental properties, and I grew up painting, cleaning-up after tenants, and doing all those things most kids would find completely boring. The idea of being able to control your own financial destiny and become "financially independent" always intrigued me. Well, it's 18 years later, and I'm not quite there yet. I (along with my fiance) own three residential properties (two in Danville, VA and one in Burlington, NC) and am looking to add another by the end of summer, so we'll get there one day.

While I enjoy my full-time job of teaching biology and anatomy to high school students, I do want to get to a point where I can focus solely on expanding my real estate portfolio. However, I don't do this just for chance at financial freedom; I do it because I enjoy it. I enjoy the reading and learning (with Brandon's Investing in Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down being the first book I've actually read since high school), playing with the BP calculators and coming-up with creative finance ideas, and working on most rehab projects (but not painting!).

I think I've said too much.  My bad!  I look forward to becoming a more active member of this awesome community!

@Lee Carter Hi and great to see you active in the forums. I grew up also helping my parents rental properties and continue to be a hands-on landlord. I still do the paint but wonder if that's hindering my investment growth. I enjoy all that stuff but don't know when to step back. It sounds you have a great start to things and all the best to you!

@Lee Carter

Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

You'll find plenty of friendly, knowledgeable people willing to respond to your posts. A lot of forum members are experts in their respective fields related to real estate investing, whether that is real estate sales, wholesaling, flipping, buy and hold investing, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, or tax and legal guidance.

The site has quite a few tools that can be helpful for new members. For example, if you are looking to connect with other members near you, want to learn from people in a specific area you’d like to invest in, or have a desire to find people interested in certain topics, you could use the search feature here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users

I really like the alerts feature that can quickly guide you to current topics that may be of interest: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

There are a few self-contained guides that you can access here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you