try to get spouse on board to invest in real estate

2 Replies

hi everyone! so i am nowhere clsoe to getting ready to invest in real estate but i wanted your help.

i spoke to my wife about future plans of investing in real estate. she did not take that well. she is very short term minded like making sure the house is fixed up. paying my student loans down. credit card down. making sure the kids are taken care of. all very important things but i am looking long term. i am the one who opened up the kids college savings account and got my sons savings account over 1k in savings getting ready for him to buy a car in about 5 years.

so i do have credit card debt about 6k worth and 45k in student loans. i am currently reading set for life by scott trench but how has couples here with kids dealt with there personal finance and talk to there spouse about investing in real estate thanks! 

@Jerry Guzman , make a plan and show her how it impacts your financial situation over time--e.g. paying off debt, kid's college, vacations, etc.

Highlight financial security and how RE can be a hedge against the whims of working in a corporate environment.

Don't expect her to get on board right away. Keep plugging along and learning all you can. When you're ready to act, explain the deal and why it's a good idea.

My fiancé is the EXACT same way. We just graduated college and are preparing for a wedding and she too only thinks short term. I have been researching real estate for the last four years (all through college) and she has always known I want to invest, but has expressed her concerns and opinions about it. She has come a long way and has actually accepted looking into it and seeing what it's all about. 

My advice would be similar to @Jaysen Medhurst . Include her as much as you can in your research and show her how everything works and what your plan is. I always tell my fiancé that the people that hate real estate investing are the people that don't understand it. Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you