Hello BP! New to BP amd REI

6 Replies

Hello BP,

Im a 33 year old investor, from New York City, eager to break into real estate investing. Ive been a long time lurker and I'm trying to learn as much as I can from books, podcasts, and the online community. I think I'm inching closer to taking the plunge, however I'm still trying to figure out my investment strategy and niche. Markets I am exploring are Buffalo and Poughkeepsie in New York, Philadelphia, and Northern New Jersey. I am also looking into areas in Texas and Florida (I'm open to any market to be honest).

I'm looking to purchase a SFH or a smaller MFH with an all-in budget of $300k.

I will be attending the shieff's sale in Philadelphia tomorrow morning and will be in the area til the late afternoon. If anyone wanted to link up, I'm game.

I'm also spending Thursday in Buffalo to scope out the area. I've lived in Buffalo from 2005-2014 so im fairly familiar with the neighborhoods but I've heard much has changed the past 5 years.

Anyways, I just wanted introduce myself to the BiggerPockets community. I'm looking forward to this new journey.

Goodluck in all your endeavors BP!

Hi. Poughkeepsie investor here.  I do flips,buy and holds and hold a local poughkeepsie meetup.  I am originally from li but moved this way 13 yrs ago.  

I also meet up for coffee or helbock (my last names)tours. At 6 am.   Networking has helped me grow.  

@Stephen Anderson , I went just to see how auctions in Philly were. It's very intense and I can see how a newbie can get caught up in all the excitement. You can definitely find a deal during an auction but it's a huge gamble since you don't know what the condition of the property is. You should find time to attend one. It was way different than the one I attended in Westchester. I'm still figuring out my go/no go criteria as well as what neighborhoods to focus on. Philly is challenging since it's one of those cities that literally change from block to block.

@matthew irsh-jones, I would love to attend a monthly meetup. Perhaps I can make my way up there next month. What market changes have you noticed in the Western NY area in the past 5 or so years? When I was last there, the Allentown/Elmwood area was starting to develop quite a bit, they were developing downtown a ton, and the Tesla factory and UB medical campus wasn't a thing yet. 

@eric Hrlbock, did you move to Poughkeepsie solely to invest in the area? When is your next meetup and/or tour? There seems to be a lot of potential there.

@Aaron Belt, thank you for the kind words. I'm definitely going to utilize BP as much as I possibly can. It's such a great platform for help.

I moved here for a teaching job but shortly after I bought rentals, then flips.  I have a lot more opportunities here

I usually do 2nd weds of the month but I canceled July for family vacation. 

I can do coffee almost anytime after July 13

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you