• Investor
  • Montrose, MN
Votes |
New to Biggerpockets!

Andrew Rushing
  • Investor
  • Montrose, MN
Posted Jul 15 2019, 06:39

Hey everyone! My name is Andrew Rushing.

I joined Biggerpockets after researching real estate investing on youtube, eventually coming across Brandon's videos and getting even more hooked! I've always had the entrepreneurial itch, not wanting to be employed by someone else. But have had a hard time finding my nitch. I have always been in the automotive industry for my career, and tried multiple things to go off on my own in the industry. But I keep finding myself burnt out on the subject. 11 years in automotive with no drive to pursue the career much further. Mostly because of how corrupt the business is. I could go on all day, but I wont bore you all.

Enter Real estate! Have thought about it in the past, but never knew where to start. My youtube searches of "how to earn passive income" and "best side hustles" eventually walked me right into real estate, and once I found Biggerpockets and subscribed, there was no looking back!

My "experience" with real estate.

When the market crashed in 2008, I was 19, my mom told me that I was buying a house! She got me a real estate agent, and they walked me through step by step until finally buying my first home, a beat down foreclosure. I got help from obama, and got a fix up loan from the city. Got it fixed up nicely, and moved in! During the 7 years I lived there I house hacked and rented out my extra bedrooms, (mostly so I could afford to live). It was a great learning experience. By 2016 my wife and I were drowning in CC debt with no idea how we would ever get out. A friend of mine advised me to talk with a broker, see if I could sell my house and buy a new one, paying off the debt at the same time. Thats what we did! It felt great! I sold that house for more than double what I payed, was able to put 20% on my new place, and pay off all my debts.... of course soon after, we accrued more debt. Then in 2018 our relationship fell apart and I went through divorce. Putting me in more debt still. Through out my marriage my wife had controlled our accounts and bills, she always had me convinced she was better at it. After the divorce, and taking control of my own finances, I quickly learned she was horrible at it... I spent sever mknth straightening out all the bills and learning how to budget the right way. Then sold that house in April 2019 (market was still on the rise) and was able to make enough to pay off all my debt again!

Puchased my new place, and now am on my journey to financial wealth, which leads me to today! Ready to learn!

Waiting on my BRRRR book in the mail, Watching webinars, listening to podcasts. And connecting with as many people as I can!

Look foward to getting started!

Loading replies...