New Aspiring Investor from Louisville, Ky

6 Replies

Hello bp community! 

I’m Troy from Louisville, Kentucky and I am new to Real Estate investing. I closed on my first property three years ago, which is my primary residence and now I’m interested in either renting or selling as fsbo but I have a lot to learn before I make my decision. I’m trying to learn about small multifamily rentals as well. 

Hey Troy,

Welcome to BP! As a newer investor myself, I can't tell you how helpful the forum has been to me. It's a great community of like-minded individuals who are constantly seeking to improve themselves. Definitely take advantage of all the free resources offered by the platform (i.e. BP podcasts, blogs, webinars etc.) as well as most of their books (especially Brandon Turner's "The Book on Rental Property Investing"to gain a solid understanding of the fundamentals of real estate investing. Also, be sure to network with other investors in the area and attend events where these individuals congregate. A great place to start is with an organization called K.R.E.I.A (Kentuckiana Real Estate Investors Association) which is the largest real estate investing organization in the city. They meet the last Thursday of each month and always have insightful speakers and provide great content to their members. Also, @Luke Neubauer and I organize a free monthly meetup at the "Manhattan Project" restaurant on Frankfort Ave. the last Wednesday of each month. As part of the meetup, you get a chance to interact with other like-minded/passionate investors and listen to speakers who discuss a wide range of topics related to real estate investing. It would be a great first event for you to come by because many of the people who attend our meetup are newer investors. In any case, good luck with your real estate investing journey and let me know if I can ever be of assistance.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you