Hi, I'm new and looking to invest in Windsor or London, Ontario

8 Replies

Hello everyone!

I'm fairly new to REI (currently living in Kitchener, Ontario) and am excited to start looking for a first rental property in Windsor, Ontario or London, Ontario as a JV with some family members. I found BP a few months ago through the real estate podcast and was inspired there to take the jump into REI as a way to help tackle debt when I finish my Ph.D. and my wife finishes medical school.

There isn't much experience with REI in my immediate family or friend-circle. So, I've been trying to learn as much as I can through podcasts, webinars, books, and blogs (the BP resources have been very helpful in this regard!). I think I've reached the point where researching much more general information without taking action would be to fall into "analysis paralysis". So, I'm looking to start an active search for cash-flowing rental properties where I can force appreciation to help repeat the process many, many, many times over!

I'm hoping BP will be a place to start finding a REI community in the Windsor, London, and/or Kitchener areas. Particularly looking for a good investment property-minded realtor in the Windsor and London areas that can help us figure out some of the more location-specific investment information. I'd be very appreciative of any recommendations in that area! Also, if anyone is aware of any newbie-friendly REI meetups near those locations, I'd love to connect with some like-minded people!

Hi Jeremy!  I am also a new investor from Waterloo with my first property being purchased this past December in London. I have found a great meet up in London run by Matt Geerts. Very Casual and newbie friendly with lots of great info being shared. They run one every month. Always looking to meet and network with local investors, if you'd like to meet and chat over a coffee feel free to message me here.  All the best! 

Hey Jeremy,

Welcome and say hi to the Tri Cities for me; I went to school up there. If you're looking to dive deep into networking, I'd recommend checking out this conference in Detroit this October. Being that it's right across the border, I'm sure you're bound to meet some Windsor-ites and have the opportunity to grow your network. Also, have you considered investing across the border here in  Detroit? The market has great potential in some areas and having some US cash flow could be really advantageous to Canadian portfolio growth.

https://www.michiganrealestateinvestors.com/Events.aspx?ID=3-Day-Real-Estate-Investor-Palooza-GOLD-Attendee-11-10-25-2019

All the best!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you