New Member Intro, Rental Investor in NH and VT

8 Replies

Way back in the '80s, I was a Realtor in New Hampshire. Some big (for me) deals enabled me to return to school for a master's degree, which led to a career as a journalist and teacher. My first book, Yankee Come Home (www.yankeecomehome.com), brought me to my current job as a professor at Dartmouth College.

My life has been a great adventure, but like many lives in the arts, hasn't provided a realistic retirement plan. Along the way, I had the experience of landlording a duplex and a single-family home. Now I'm investing in multis and student rentals to set up sustaining cash flow. From there, I intend to branch out into short-term rentals focused on my home region's wonderful market for MA and NY vacationers.

I am tremendously grateful for biggerpockets, which has brought me up to speed on so many factors in today's REI world. The sense of community and encouragement provided by reading everyone's posts has helped me believe that my new goals are sensible and achievable--- with a lot of hard work! Thank you all.

I would really like to hear from like-minded investors, from property managers working in my states and from lenders. Thanks and best wishes to all in the bp community!

Welcome to the community @William Craig ! It is awesome how encouraging everyone is and amazing how many resources there are on here. I'm sure everyone else would be curious too, what's your 6-12 month real estate goal right now for location and/or type of property you are looking for? Since you're getting going again!

Promotion
Azibo
Smart landlords use Azibo
One-stop-shop for landlords
Rent collection, banking, bill pay & access to competitive loans and insurance - free for landlords
Get started for free

Hi, Martha and Richard! Thanks for connecting!

Great specific questions, Martha. 

I'm happy to report that I have a fully executed p+s and should close on my first student rental property in Plymouth NH by mid-September. I have another offer out in negotiation. My six-month goal is to own and establish cash flow from two properties, and I seem to be on the way! My 12-month goal is to add another property if the first two acquisitions are running smoothly; if not, to focus on management or other issues to establish smooth operations. In either case, I intend to acquire two more properties in the second 12 months, then stop and consolidate management and financing, assessing whether the next move will be more small-to-mid-size rentals or a single large building.

I'm pleased, so far, with my decision to target student rentals in Plymouth, but we'll see what more experience has to say. I'm also looking at 1-4s in markets I know well in the Upper Valley.

My parameters emphasize cash flow, and I am sticking to deals that meet the high-end definition in Brandon T's inspiring video on buying a first multi: $200/unit/month, 12% cap. I'm having good luck with entry-level bank financing, but I look forward to working with lenders when I have a track record and can make less cumbersome, less stodgy deals. 

BTW, it was seeing Brandon's video a few months back that made me resolve to act. Since then, I've been crash-coursing on my real-estate education, assembling a team, creating an LLC etc.. Feels swift and intense and deeply why-didn't-I-do-this-a-long-time-ago?

Thanks, Aaron and Jonathan! I'm already convinced of BP's value: if it weren't for BP, I wouldn't be heading toward closing on my first rental-income property!

Craig,

Welcome to the forums.   I am a rental property investor further down the Ct River Valley in Bellows Falls, VT.

I have thought your area might work well for short term rentals for families visiting loved ones at the Medical center and parents visiting their kids at Dartmouth, etc 

Something to keep in mind when you are looking around for investments.

Best of Luck with your venture.

Mike

@William Craig I just started investing in NH and purchased a single family in the White Mountains we Airbnb. I love doing it and so far we are doing really well with it. I'm looking to expand and purchase a few more vacation rentals and also commercial and multifamily buy and holds. I am a MA and RI Realtor and hope to get my NH license this year as well.

Investing in Real Estate is definitely a great way to plan for retirement. I'm looking forward to the day I'm financially free and do not have to be in any particular location to live and explore.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you