Newbie in East Harford, Connecticut

4 Replies

Hi all!  I'm a mechanical engineer who also has gotten into real estate by getting my real estate license.  I never would have pursued getting my own real estate license if it weren't for a bad real estate agent experience I had a few years ago, but it all worked out in the end.  I am also an Air Force vet, and I am currently working on a master of science in Mechanical engineering.  In addition, I have started digging deep in the podcasts and gathering as much info as I can about investing.  My main investing interests right now are multi-family homes.  I look forward to talking shop and networking with other investors!

Promotion
Apartments.com
List, Screen, Lease, Get Paid, Manage.
No Better Place to Lease Your Place
Owners rely on the #1 rental site to get the best results from their rental properties.
Get Started Now

Do either of you have any advice on whether buying a home in an HOA is a good or bad idea with regards to possibly renting it out down the line? I have a house under contract, and the HOA documents don't explicitly deny it (at least from what I can understand with my extremely limited legal expertise).

Welcome @Dan Sartoris!  I'm active duty air force and also a mechanical engineer!  My wife and I own 24 apartments in the midwest, starting in 2017.  I'd be more than happy to chat about multifamily, see where you are interested in investing, and refer you to investor-friendly agents as desired.  I also just got my real estate license in Florida so if you are interested in short term rentals, I can help you with the Destin market.  But as a new investor, unless you are looking for a place you could vacation to as well, I'd recommend starting with a long term rental to get your feet wet.  

We started with a 8 unit package.  This is only because I wanted to create growth as fast as possible, and certainly isn't the right move for everyone.  Let's chat more, I like to start with what people's goals are and then work backwards from there!

Best of luck to you,

Charlie

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you