Real estate in Ottawa!

7 Replies

Hi everyone,

I have lived in Ottawa for almost 5 years, bought my first family home almost two years ago and have been looking to get started in real estate investment. I've worked with my real estate agent and visited townhomes in the kanata/barhaven area as well as condos closer to downtown however I have not found anything that would bring about + cash flow. I would love to get suggestions from Ottawa investors on the best geographical areas to invest in and around Ottawa as well as the types of homes to invest in. 

I look forward to connecting.

Thank you!

Originally posted by @Sarah Mostafa-Kamel :

Hi everyone,

I have lived in Ottawa for almost 5 years, bought my first family home almost two years ago and have been looking to get started in real estate investment. I've worked with my real estate agent and visited townhomes in the kanata/barhaven area as well as condos closer to downtown however I have not found anything that would bring about + cash flow. I would love to get suggestions from Ottawa investors on the best geographical areas to invest in and around Ottawa as well as the types of homes to invest in. 

I look forward to connecting.

Thank you!

Welcome aboard Sarah.

@Sarah Mostafa-Kamel

Hey Sarah,

I've noticed the same thing, fair market price for rent hasn't quite increased as fast as the price for buying the properties. I would suggested looking in more of a regional area instead of trying to look right downtown. The property is more likely to have positive cash flow, tenants are more likely to be longer term which means less turnover cost and most people are ok with commuting in Ottawa. Areas in the west end like Richmond, Carleton Place or Arnprior are more likely to have positive cash flow generally speaking. Check google maps and put a 45 min circle around downtown and work in from there. Ottawa proper has some potential areas like parts of Bells Corners and Vanier, think communities that came up in the 80s and 90s. They are established and still have great properties for rental income.

Also when it comes to what kind of homes to buy its abit of personal preference. Everyone has certain criteria a property needs to check, a big mistake to make is to over buy or over renovate. Especially with a rental. A 600k house isnt going to get you 2x as much rent as a 300k with similar rooms and location. The more expensive house may have a 60k kitchen but it's not any more functional then the 20k kitchen in the other home.

As for the actual building type that depends on what you are comfortable managing as a landlord. Condos, townhouses or detached; student houses, single family homes or duplexes. They all have different pros and cons.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you