Tallahassee Couple Beginning Real Estate Investing Journey

7 Replies

Hello all!

My fiancee and I moved to Tallahassee, FL about 8 months ago. I came for work and she has since followed and found work. We love it here and intend to stay from here on out. 

We found a wonderful historic home to care for, but are also interested in getting involved in purchasing rental properties and possibly flipping. We have done neither before. However, both us come from strong organizational management backgrounds and I often joke that my fiancee has enough skills to breeze through a GC test. The long and the short of it is that we are both motivated, organized, and realistic people who think we can succeed in real estate. Still a lot to learn, but we are enjoying that path. We'd enjoy meeting people in the area or seeing what groups are getting together for RE investing. 

Thanks for reading!

Kevin and Patty

@Kevin Gidusko

Welcome to Tallahassee. Non permitted flips are more manageable imo, as you do not need to involve a gc, and probably best for one starting out. Get a good home inspection so you that you can catch the most of the issues before they become budget killers. I have worked with flippers and will begin doing my own January.

As a gc and home inspector I would be happy to walk a few properties with you to give you some idea of budget. No charge.

Rentals to students are popular but usually a lower cap rate, higher turnover, and higher upkeep costs/repairs.

Know your numbers and always plan for cost overruns.

Thanks, @Siye Baker ! Great advice and much appreciated. We have seen the student areas and they look well lived in for sure. Still tentative if that's the route we want to take. May take you up on walking a few properties, and always good to know there's a GC out there who has been on this side of it. I'm not sure what the forum rules are about sharing info, but if you're allowed to forward your contact info then please do. Thanks!

@Kevin Gidusko . Hey guys welcome to Tallahassee. Me and my misses work in Tallahassee investing and all the Jazz. If you guys want to go for coffee or some kind of libations then feel free to get in contact. I love talking about real estate.

Greetings @Kevin Gidusko and welcome to Tallahassee. I have been living here all of my 23 years and I am also a newbie in real estate investing. I want to focus on buy and hold investing would like to start off by house hacking. Would love to meet with you.

There's an investor's meeting tonight at the Wahoo Grill on North Monroe Street.   It starts at 6:00 pm.   There will be lots of people there to network with and it's a great environment to help you get started.   I want to say the admission is $20 per person but it would be well worth it.

Originally posted by @Charles O Peters :

There's an investor's meeting tonight at the Wahoo Grill on North Monroe Street.   It starts at 6:00 pm.   There will be lots of people there to network with and it's a great environment to help you get started.   I want to say the admission is $20 per person but it would be well worth it.

I missed this earlier! I will be sure to make the next meeting. Thank you for suggesting this.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you