New to BP, Looking to expand rental property portfolio

7 Replies

Hi all, I'm new to BP, and currently have 2 rentals in my local area (Doylestown / Sellersville / Perkasie / Quakertown , Pennsylvania).  These towns are about 1 hour north of Philadelphia and 35 minutes south of the Lehigh Valley (Bethlehem / Allentown).  I'm looking to make any connections while also growing my real estate portfolio.  Couple quick questions...

1) Anyone in this general area... what are some of the best strategies for building your portfolio with limited capital? Success with BRRRR, seller financing, etc? I just used up a good chunk of my equity for my last rental purchase. I do not want to wait until I save up another $50K to buy another property.

2) Besides rentometer.com what other sources have people used to collect reliable rental income data?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Can't weigh in on the first question, but on the second, we usually look on all of the common rental websites (Trulia, Zillow, RedFin, Craigslist, FBook marketplace, etc.) to get a feel for rents in the area. Also, you would probably benefit from reaching out to a few large property managers in the area and asking for their opinion on rental rates for your class of asset.

Hi @Jonathan Emery , thanks for the reply.  I'd be very interested in hearing whatever you have found to work for creative financing options.  As I've soaked up a good amount of my capital in my first two rentals, I'm realizing that I'll need to get a little creative on financing my next deals (because I do not want to wait a couple more years to build up another large chunk of money, before acquiring another rental).  Looking forward to hearing from you.

Jimmy 

Hello @Jimmy Jefferson ,

If you are looking to expand your portfolio in the Philadelphia area, and are able to do a BRRR or a Hack, Check into the neighborhoods in Germantown and other North Philly neighborhoods. There are programs out there that could help you with financing. I would like to speak more with you on this matter. As well as rental rates, I can offer you an insight into what I know being that we manage a few units out there.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you