Best way to start with a good amount of capital?

2 Replies

Hi BP

I am just out of college and started working for a big real estate brokerage in Columbus, OH.

I want to start buying my own properties but I am not sure what's the best way to start. 

My father is a successful corporate lawyer and he wants to start investing with me.

So I have capital, now I'm wondering: Do I start with a large apartment complex?

Do I go after a small place first, get a better grip on what I'm doing then go big?

Or do I stay small and accumulate many small properties?

What would you recommend doing?

(Also I'm thinking of focusing on educating myself until the next recession, then pouncing)

Thanks,

Hodge

@Horace Stillwell I would recommend doing a house hack on a 2-4 unit residential property to start off. Your cash on cash return is amazing, which makes finding a great deal less of a concern. It makes finding tenants easier because you are already occupying one unit yourself. You get to learn how to take care of a property first hand. You can rehab your side as you live in it. You can keep a close eye on the other units.

If you check out my bio, this is how I got started.

I would not wait for unit the next recession. I do not believe trying to time the market is a good strategy. I am a buy and hold investor. I will own these properties for the rest of my life. As long as my properties cash flow I am good.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you