Introducing myself to the community

6 Replies

Hi all,

I'm Chris and I'm from the Albany, NY area. Been listening to BP for about a year now, combing through the forums with increasing regularity, and have thought about being a Real Estate investor for well over a decade.

I initially wanted to be a teacher, graduated around 08 so, maybe needless to say, I ended up floating around until I started my current career 6 years ago. Recently bought my first home, a handy man special, and have been increasing my interest in renting/flipping homes as I'm "getting wet behind the ears" with my home.

This is my first post, appripos given I felt I should introduce myself prior to asking questions! I really enjoy much of the community & discussion, I am looking forward to having dialog with some good people.

Until we meet on the forums,

-Chris

Welcome aboard @Chris Vining! Bigger Pockets is the greatest community I have ever run across besides the one I live in. I find the Capital District to be an intriguing real estate market. Are you thinking about starting to invest in Albany or are you looking at other areas? 

Promotion
NestEgg
Smarter rental management
Outperform your peers by 71%
NestEgg landlords save $6,960/yr in fees & 20 hrs/mo*. Self-manage for free or go hands-off for $29.
Start now, get $500

Hi fellas,

I think my answer to both your questions is that I am comp'ing surrounding areas, from Hudson to Schenectady, Catskills to Pittsfield. I'm native to the region so I am going to utilize my personal community to expand my understanding of the markets around here. I assume my first deal (excluding the primary residence I am currently rehabbing) will be within an hour of where I live, though I'm not married to the idea.

I am comp'ing flips and BRRRRs. Trying to keep an open mind as to the best business/personal move. Already learned from BP to not limit or exclude opportunities unless you've got a better reason than "I'm scared."

Thanks for the replies!

-Chris V.

Originally posted by @Chris Vining:

Hi all,

I'm Chris and I'm from the Albany, NY area. Been listening to BP for about a year now, combing through the forums with increasing regularity, and have thought about being a Real Estate investor for well over a decade.

I initially wanted to be a teacher, graduated around 08 so, maybe needless to say, I ended up floating around until I started my current career 6 years ago. Recently bought my first home, a handy man special, and have been increasing my interest in renting/flipping homes as I'm "getting wet behind the ears" with my home.

This is my first post, appripos given I felt I should introduce myself prior to asking questions! I really enjoy much of the community & discussion, I am looking forward to having dialog with some good people.

Until we meet on the forums,

-Chris

Welcome to the site Chris.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you