Hello everybody from Syracuse, NY

10 Replies

My name is Darran Giangiobbe and I have been on my real estate journey for the last few years. I currently have an owner occupied duplex in the Historic Strathmore Neighborhood of Syracuse. The buyers market of the last few years has made it hard for me to find the next deal! My hope is to meet with members in Syracuse and overcome any obstacles, so I can meet my next goal of 8 units as quickly as possible.

Thank You Bigger Pockets for this wonderful resource!

Originally posted by @Darran Giangiobbe :

My name is Darran Giangiobbe and I have been on my real estate journey for the last few years. I currently have an owner occupied duplex in the Historic Strathmore Neighborhood of Syracuse. The buyers market of the last few years has made it hard for me to find the next deal! My hope is to meet with members in Syracuse and overcome any obstacles, so I can meet my next goal of 8 units as quickly as possible.

Thank You Bigger Pockets for this wonderful resource!

Welcome to the site Darran.

Contractors are few and far between here in the Syracuse market. A similar problem all over the country I'd presume. We've recently partnered with investors where they bring the money, we remodel the property at cost. They keep the profit from the refi and we keep the property for rental income. They make $10-$15k on a $100k investment over a few months, we expand our rentals. Maybe find something weird like that to get some deals going. The lack of contractors or skilled trade really make the prices skyrocket so finding a contractor that can work within your budget on an investment property can be incredibly difficult. 

@Darran Giangiobbe just my personal opinion here... Sounds like you have a great duplex as strathmore has some great tenanta historically. With that being said I would invest in more areas with great tenants and be patience and not get inpatient by investing in a lower income area. Im sure you have minimal headaches and want to keep it that way. Just my 2 cents, best of luck!!!

@Bryan Cavellier I agree 100%. Every investor I've talked to around me said there biggest regret was buying single family's and buying in undesirable neighborhoods. I am doing my best follow that advice. 

Ever think about buying down south? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the population of Syracuse has been decreasing. Dallas, Houston, Austin, Atlanta, Tampa - all relatively cheap cities that are growing like crazy + less taxes. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you