A Young Musician Looking to Take His First Steps in Real Estate

5 Replies

Hello, everyone on Bigger Pockets! I'm completely new to the real estate scene, looking from the outside and trying to figure out how to get started with limited to no funds. I do have time on my hands and an eagerness to learn and apply myself as much as possible. Any advice for helping me take my very first steps would be immensely appreciated.                      

I can honestly say if I could go back, my first real estate investment would have been to purchase a multi-family home and I would have rented out one side and lived in the other. The renter would be paying most or all of my mortgage and I would have gotten an FHA loan only having to put down 3.5%.

I am a single family homeowner now looking to purchase a multi-family. So many options, but I have no idea where I should start. HELOC vs Home equity loan vs. conventional loan!!! I'm saying all that to say multi-family is a good way to start.

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor

Look up the FHA Loan. If you are planning to occupy one side of the duplex, you can get a loan only having to put down 3.5%, but they are a lot of down payment programs that can help you with that. You only need a credit score of at least 580. Check it out.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you