Detroit beginning investor.

8 Replies

Hi, I'm in Detroit, Michigan and I'm a beginner investor. My goals consist of wholesaling a few properties in order to BRRR my first 4 plex multi-unit through the fha 203k loan process. After I've created enough equity in several rentals and multi-units I plan to do a 1031 exchange to invest in my first apartment complex. I've studied and read so much information into this and I'm extremely motivated. My main problem is finding motivated sellers that are not on the MLS market and filling out my contracts properly here in Michigan. Is there anyone on here who could instruct me.

Welcome to Biggerpockets and good luck going forward! It is nice to meet you. You are off to a great start. There is a person in Detroit I listen to on the podcast who was working with the city of renovating foreclosed homes. You might check the city website.

@Ethan Stewart you might want to check out Wholesaling Inc’s podcast. They are usually pretty good about giving step by step instructions. Also, check out meetup.com and go to some of the local events. Great places to network with investors looking for deals.

Hi @Ethan Stewart . Congrats on getting started!

Our team does a good bit of wholesaling throughout the country, and Detroit is a market that has performed well for us. Detroit is full of many highly motivated sellers, so you're in a great place to be able to acquire properties.

We enjoy working with, partnering  and helping wholesalers throughout the country. Feel free to message me so we can see if I can help. 

@Ethan Stewart You should consider working with a list broker for a couple reasons. One is that they can help you get the number of owners you want on a mailing list to help you stay within your list and mailing budget.

They can also help you to mix in more than one type of list. You don't want to mail to just absentee owners since they are already getting mail from a  lot of other investors. You should consider some of the newer motivated lists.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here