Newbie Investor from Southern California

14 Replies

Hello BP community,

I am a licensed real estate agent from Ontario, CA. I have been working in a Residential Property Management office in the Southwest Riverside County area for two years. I have experience with landlord duties and bookkeeping. I have seen first hand the benefits of buy and hold investing and I am eager to get started. I have been interested in investing for a few years now but have yet to jump in. I have recently been listening to the BP podcast and I have been learning a lot. 

My goal is to invest in residential properties and build enough cash flow for financial freedom. I am currently looking to House Hack a 2-4 unit property to get started and finally break my "Analysis Paralysis". I am also trying to get a grasp on direct mail marketing as a deal generator. There are other aspects of real estate that interest me such as wholesaling and flipping which I am excited to learn about.

I am looking forward to both gain and share knowledge with the BP community. 

@Aaron K. Hello Aaron,

Yes, it is quite a commute. The office is located in Lake Elsinore, but I do not mind the drive since it gives me the opportunity to listen to the BP Podcast and audio books. I am looking to house hack in Corona, because my wife works in Ontario and we would like to keep her commute as minimal as possible. 

Originally posted by @Edgar Sepulveda :

Hello BP community,

I am a licensed real estate agent from Ontario, CA. I have been working in a Residential Property Management office in the Southwest Riverside County area for two years. I have experience with landlord duties and bookkeeping. I have seen first hand the benefits of buy and hold investing and I am eager to get started. I have been interested in investing for a few years now but have yet to jump in. I have recently been listening to the BP podcast and I have been learning a lot. 

My goal is to invest in residential properties and build enough cash flow for financial freedom. I am currently looking to House Hack a 2-4 unit property to get started and finally break my "Analysis Paralysis". I am also trying to get a grasp on direct mail marketing as a deal generator. There are other aspects of real estate that interest me such as wholesaling and flipping which I am excited to learn about.

I am looking forward to both gain and share knowledge with the BP community. 

Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you! 

@Aaron K. That is great to know! I was honestly just hoping it would be good area to invest in. Since I am not yet educated on how to properly analyse a city for investing and the only reason we chose it is because my wife likes the area. Thank you for the tip, it is much appreciated!

@Edgar Sepulveda Sounds like we have some similar goals! I currently work in commercial real estate property management in Northern California and am looking to house hack in Southern California as well. It's been challenging to narrow down which city I'd like to house hack in as there are many SoCal offices I can transfer to, including Ontario. It's also been challenging for me to research safe/good cities to invest in down in Southern California. Both Ontario & Corona have briefly been on my list of cities, but I might reconsider them again and try to do some more market research to see if it make sense to house hack there.

@Edgar Sepulveda @Alexis Hui

My wife and I are located in La Verne and love to talk real estate. We have a local real estate networking meeting that just kicked off last week. It was about half established investors and half just starting investors but it was real motivating to hear how everybody is getting after it.

Let me know if you have any specific questions I can help with as you are searching.

@Edgar Sepulveda and @Alexis Hui a fellow Californian here- have either of you scoped out the central valley (Fresno, Modesto,etc.)? It's where I'm from originally- a lot lower cost of entry (and probably similarly lower growth potential though done well lately). Just trying to see if others have some experience/thoughts.

@Chris Gouveia Looks like we are distant neighbors! I haven't looked into Central Valley, however I might consider but probably not for a house hack. Are you currently investing in that area? I have a lot of family members from Stockton, some of which have invested in some properties in Stockton a couple years ago. 

@Chris Gouveia Fresno has been really good to me, i've been investing in the area since 2011. Rents keep steadily moving up even in the top markets, easy to find good tenants. Sometimes buyers tend to get in a situation with multiple offers on MFH which pushes more educated investors out of the market, but it usually just takes a little creativity in structuring the contract to make it work for both parties. But overall, things have been good, we still have low inventory of SFH's so apartments are in high demand and probably will be for at least a few more years while we catch up in building.

@Alexis Hui let me know if you ever want to chat about Fresno RE!  It's always a good time talking about it. 

@Edgar Sepulveda

When we were in Socal We looked at markets of Big Bear, Palm Springs area. With the vacation market the returns are sometimes worth the extra effort. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you