Calculating ARV on SFH in the Milwaukee area.

5 Replies

Hello, my name is Daniel Wendorf.i have been looking to get into SFH but i guess im having a hard time finding out the ARV for some of these homes based on local comparisons. it seems that there is a big fluctuation is the cost of these homes. one will sell for 120k with 4b 2bath, but a couple blocks away they will sell for 50k. how do i go about getting a more accurate number?

Practice. Determining ARV is an art and a science - you definitley get better with practice and tools. Most agents struggle with it and get so-so results. In the area you are describing you have to understand the deviding lines; you can't cross those.

Also, from my own experience: BRRRR generally works better on medium priced homes, because you have a larger spread. That spread gets divided up into your profit and your expenses. Your expenses are NOT a function of home value. A water heater for a cheap house costs exactly the same as for a house double or trippple the price.

Hey Daniel! Welcome to BiggerPockets!

You have hit the JACKPOT of resources for real estate investors. You can literally find answers to all of your questions within the confines of this site. What’s the best way to get started using BiggerPockets?

1. Subscribe to the BiggerPockets Money and Rookie Podcasts

2. Attend the FREE WEBINARS

3. Attend a Meetup in Your Area

4. Purchase the Beginner Books: How to Invest in Real Estate, Set for Life, The House Hacking Strategy (shameless plug)

5. Peruse the forums! Ask questions! Answer Questions!

If you are consistent with learning real estate over the next 4-6 months, you’ll be ready to purchase your first (or next) property in NO TIME!

Best of luck,

Craig Curelop

Did you look at the photos of the homes to see if they compare?  Some were probably complete rehabs whereas the lower ones may be distressed or as is sales. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you