newbie investing question moving pretty fast covid worrys

newbie investing question moving pretty fast covid worrys

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Nice to meet you bigger pockets!

In college for accounting right now. Young and hungry bigger pockets has inspired my so much!

I am currently a very very new landord. I baught my first househack about 8 months ago. Rent covers mortgage tax insurance and alittle bit of

utilitys. 

    here is my introduction story I hear so many people tell these so I figured ill throw this in here as well before the question.

for the longest time I was a victum, then one day somthing clicked I decided to live in the ghetto to save. never the less, this did not work. 

I got chased out by a drug dealer with a broken car windows and all tail between my legs and life in danger 

I had a decision to make. I could give up and find a place to rent but sacrifice my ability to save and move forward with my dreams,

or I could grit my teeth and allow my pain to push me. so in that moment i decided in the fall in milwaukee,

to live in my car and bear it out while i saved with my fiance. I remember I would go to bed and it was a negative tempurature, I remember

the -50 degree polar vortex, every night I went to bed I while taking the neccisary precautions stared back at death as a dare, I dared it to

take me before I accomplished what I felt I was here to do. and it only took a year. between the savings of me and my fiance had allready 

within one year we had saved almost 100k. We found a great b plus neighborhood and baught a duplex that cashflowed day one and allready

from rent increases houshacking everything is covered. This is my story so far and I wanted everyone on bigger pockets to know that it was all

of your success storys that made me push so hard to achieve the dreams I have and your storys and my vision of who I will be will continue to

push me.


     So on to my question after my introduction for my first post. Me and my fiance now save about 4400 every month I have strategic areas I

want to invest in and in those areas I would probably be able to get 2 duplexes a year. More once I am done with college and into my career

as a cpa making the real dollas. However, learning how to be a landlord/property manager; taking 20 credits a semester

which is now 2 times the work load and online as well as working 20 hours a week all while trying to successfully juggle a relationship is very

taxing and exhausting. It is making me think mainly due to this corona virus should I wait this out save my cash and buy after school is done

and I am solid into the accounting field and my first job. Or should I just white knuckle it and dollar cost avarage into this? Just keep doing 

what I have been and beat the crap out of life for just looking at me wrong. This savings rate is very sustainable for a long term assuming

we dont have children any time soon if that changes any consideration into your answers. 

thank you for your time bigger pockets!!

warm regards.

0Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Syndicator · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 907 votes
6y

Great story and insight!  I'd suggest continuing to stash cash and dive deep into the education process.  Another option is saving up more money to buy larger deals through partnership.  That will provide you with the economies of scale necessary to hire a third party property manager.  Sounds like you are heading down the right path though!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Syndicator · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 907 votes
    6y

    Great story and insight!  I'd suggest continuing to stash cash and dive deep into the education process.  Another option is saving up more money to buy larger deals through partnership.  That will provide you with the economies of scale necessary to hire a third party property manager.  Sounds like you are heading down the right path though!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 153 posts · 84 votes
    6y

    Great story! I personally would consider waiting out this COVID-19 thing for a month or so before buying just to get a feel for where things are going with the economy. That said, you might be able to save some money by buying now but it probably comes with some degree of risk, although it may be smaller than the news would have you think. At a minimum, keep saving like you've been doing and build your cash reserves which will allow you to move on more and more deals in the next few years starting to "snowball" that money. 

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    i appreciate your guys feedbacks! @Brock, i have considered partnership things but i feel like i need more experiance before i jump into that. there is an old saying that goes with experiance that the money flows to the experiance so i just dont want to get screwed over because of my lack of experiance. that will be down the line though surly. @ brett for sure ill keep stashing this cash. im also heavy into stocks and have avaraged a 15 to 20 percent return there as well , i also happened to sell right before all of this out of luck so i will be buying this dip to.

  • Orange County, CA · Member since 2020 · 42 posts · 24 votes
    6y

    @Bradley Pietrzak  Your story is inspiring and thank you for sharing.  I'm an accountant and am here to help if you'd like to chat.  PM me.  I went to school close to you at DePaul in Chicago.  

    Very quickly,  and in case we don't connect, please keep in mind timing isn't always great and you will have less of it working as an accountant (much less if you go public/CPA route).  That education and experience is valuable yet don't let it take you away from your passion for investing and RE, that you clearly have.  You're much farther along than you think and your discipline will take you very far.  Be patient, yet don't stall and don't be guided by fear; Covid or otherwise.     

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Bradley Pietrzak Thanks for sharing man!!  Great story.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.