100% cash purchase VS 20% down payment on rental property

100% cash purchase VS 20% down payment on rental property

Real Estate Agent · Deltona, FL · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 1 vote

Hi All,

What numbers would you look for on COC and cash flow ( Using the rental Caculator) when purchasing at 100% cash.

While using the rental caculator, I had to go way down on the purchase price ( to get at least 10% COC) rather then calculating with a 20% down payment option..Where the purchase price would be reduced to reasonable price..Any advice on what numbers to look for at 100% cash purchase?

P.S *Any feed back would be very much appreaciated.. Thanks,

0Reply
32 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • PA · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Yeah, I am also confused by this.  Lets do an example:

    Property Cost: $360k

    Monthly Cash flow: $2550 (after 10% expenses, 10% vacancies, taxes, insurance, self manage, tenant paid utilities)

    -----

    $2550 x 12 months = $30,600 / 360000 = 0.085 * 100 = CASH CoC of 8.5%

    -----

    Lets say the loan rate is 4%, commercial, 25 years

    20% down of $360k is $72k, so actual loan is for 288k with an average monthly payment of $1,520

    $2550 monthly cash flow - $1520 = $1030 * 12 months = $12360 / $72k = 0.17 * 100 = LOAN CoC of 17.2%

    ..but in those 25 years an additional $168k is paid in interest

    -------

    So, if I did that right. Loan CoC is better, but not really?



  • Real Estate Agent · Deltona, FL · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Hi Mike,

    Yes I am confused with this too...

    The way I get it is that COC is on the actual cash you invest..

    e.g with a 20% down payment your COC will be more as you are using less cash up front.

    but with 100% your COC will be less on the purchase price as you are using more money up front..

    I would be happy to know what COC to look for at 100%..

    The best way I figured out in my deal is to calculate the purchase price using 20% down with 11 - 12% COC...Later pay 100% cash for it (Your COC will go down to 8-9%)...but in the long run you are not paying any interest, BUT THE CASH FLOW WILL BE ALMOST DOUBLE with les COC.


    I am not sure if I am doing it right!!! though

  • PA · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    exactly, but gotta wait for someone who knows to chime in

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    "What numbers would you look for on COC and cash flow ( Using the rental Calculator) when purchasing at 100% cash."

    Well, if you're 100% cash buyer C-o-C = CapRate = NOI/Price. If I use 6% CapRate, on $1M property = $60K/year NOI. So CoC = 6%

    If I do 70% LTV ($700K financed) at 3.5%, my ann debt = $37,720/year.

    My CFBT = $60K - $37,720 = $22,280/year.

    My CoC with this debt = 7.46% = $22,280/$300K = CFBT/Down

    Since it's pretty basic as a decision metric, if you do a XLS, put some numbers in and do at least ONE calc by hand to verify.  On a lot of free XLS, I find some basic math errors.

  • Real Estate Agent · Deltona, FL · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Thanks Steve...so COC=Cap rate=NOI/Price..

    Let me try that and see if I get that..

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.