New Investor in San Antonio...What to do while I am Deployed?

5 Replies

Hello BP World! I am active duty military and I about to deploy to a relatively safe location with a slow internet connection but I won't have cell service. While deployed, I plan on continually educating myself on REI as well as analyzing at least 5 properties a day to practice through repetition. Unfortunately, I have been interested in REI for a few years, but I have not lived in areas that I can invest...and now that I am in a great area, I am deploying.

My question is, what could/should I do so that upon my return next spring I can purchase my first property? Is there anything I should NOT do?

I am close to retirement eligibility and I have my feet to the fire to get my first of many BRRRR deals in the books.

Thanks!

-Mike McGuire

I think you're doing all the good.  If I were you I'd take some time to decompress after a deployment and not be too hasty jumping on a deal. I understand its relatively safe where you're going but I can attest that even the most mundane deployment isnt without its stressors. Thank you for your service!

Keep learning. Listen to podcasts, research doing a marketing campaign, research direct mail, and all the things that you dont know or feel that you should know. Get better prepared. You can see what properties are selling at right now. Become a market expert so that when you get here, you are the man. Know what different areas cost, rental rates, etc.

It wouldn't hurt to get in touch with some other active investors in San Antonio, TX and see what deals they're taking on and the results since you have so much time. If you aren't back until next spring you'll be able to see some of them go from start to finish and learn a bit from their successes and failures.

Thank you all for your responses! I am particularly keen on meeting up with a local investor as @Stone Saathoff suggested and will continue my learning as @Rick Pozos mentioned. @Charles Holder , I would love to buy a home now and rent it out before I leave, but I do not want the added stress of trying to find, raise capital, close, find a vet property management firms, and then deal with the stress overseas of my first rental.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you