Talking to motivated sellers with confidence

6 Replies

Hey, I have been studying all the many different scripts to talk with potential sellers. Yet I always end up showing my nervousness and start to stutter or trip over my words when talking. What are some ways I can control my emotions when speaking with sellers? 

Confidence comes from knowledge and practice. It sounds like you are working on your knowledge now you need to practice. The practice is why every customer focused role I have ever had involved some sort of role playing. With practice and experience you will know what they are going to say before they know and you will be ready. Another thing many people need to work on is their listening skills, a lot of times we are thinking of our response before the other party is finished talking, this can be a distraction that can cause nervousness. Actively listen and then respond with what you practiced. 

@Mack Benson Yes, the active listening part is really a struggle. After i’m done speaking, I start to critique myself instead of listening. My main fear is the seller questioning my credibility because I’m newer with no deals under my belt. I can only play the part until they start asking about references to past deals. That’s when I start to emphasize being open and honest about my what I’m doing.

@Sheldon Fleming who is more concerned about your experience? As you say these are motivated sellers, I would think they are more concerned about their situation than they care about your experience. Are you overthinking things and psyching yourself out? If so, STOP. I'll go back to my suggestion for role playing, if you ever hear Chris Voss interviewed he almost always has at least one role playing session with the host. If role playing and practice are good enough for Chris Voss I think it's good enough for us all. If you need to you can start alone in the dark or alone in front of a mirror, play both parts, get good comfortable and confident in what you want to say. 

I know you can do this because you have asked the question. The next part is you have to know you can too.

"Hey, I have been studying all the many different scripts to talk with potential sellers."

For god's sake, don't use a script:

- It's not your words. 

- You're lost if you go off script and 

- You sound like you're reading a script.

- It doesn't encourage listening

Set some goals for each call type - Like 1st time or follow-up calls.  Make a list of what you want to find out and ASK AND LISTEN.  Stuff like:

1) Do you want to sell

2) Issues with the property

3) What's your personal situation on selling.

You can always start with being honest (at least for a wholesaler):  I've got someone looking to buy a house in your area.

Oh, and make lots of calls.  You know what to do, you just need to stop doing the stupid stuff and it'll be easy.

@Steve Morris Haha Thanks for the straight forward honesty. I dont want to sound scripted and thats what It may sound like to the seller when Im fumbling my words. Im pretty educated on the acquisition stage and I'll hopefully gain more confidence by talking to like minds like you all.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you