Corpus Christi newbie investor

4 Replies

This is my first post...We are very new buy and hold investors based in Austin,Texas. We're looking to buy a vacation home near the beach that we can Airbnb while we're still working our W2 jobs but will become our homestead when we retire in 15 years. We can buy cash at $150K or finance it if it's more than that. We are going for a short vacation to Port Lavaca this Labor day weekend so we thought we should try to meet someone who might be free to show us a house or 2. This is going to be our first venture into STR and I know BP is not recommending to go into STR right now so I guess we'll go the LTR route. Any guidance, suggestions or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Jona Santiago

@Jona Santiago welcome! I like the idea of short term rentals especially in a desirable area where there's lots of traffic throughout the year. Ideally you want to find a market that isn't seasonal, unless it's in an area that has year around attractions. (Ex. Colorado) I would highly recommend using leverage for your first deal considering you have a large amount of money saved, that should leave you plenty for reserves. If you currently own a primary residence that gives you even more options, you could turn that into a rental or using the equity to fund a deal.

I have a property in Taft Texas that I will be looking to sell soon. It is very near Corpus Christi it’s a good size house on a Texas size lot, but it needs quite a bit of TLC. I could sell for cash or finance it. Feel free to look and see were attacked his and DM if you want.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you