Beginning in real estate investing for 19 year old

Beginning in real estate investing for 19 year old

Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hello, my name is Anthony Keys and I currently live in Bakersfield, California. I’m in need for advice on real estate as I’m confused but intrigued. Any books you recommend or anything that can help me in becoming an investor I’m open to learning. Thank you In advance for responses!

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Phoenix · Member since 2020 · 27 posts · 49 votes
6y

@Anthony Keys listen to the bigger pockets podcast and real estate rookie podcasts. Any time that you would normally listen to music, put those on instead. Let your brain absorb the information. If you are working, working out, or studying while it is playing an episode, liaten to it again later. (Your subconscious will remember more than you think).

Buy the "how to invest in real estate" book to find a niche that interests you. Then read two books about that niche.

From there, learn as much as necessary to make you feel uncomfortable but alert about financing. Real estate will never be comfortable, that is why awareness is key.

Now you are ready. At that point you have enough knowledge to start practicing and any other excuse will ultimately land on you.

It can be incredibly rewarding and I will just say to stay focused on your goal, and never let fear push you away from a good deal, or pull you into a bad decision. Congratulations on finding the freedom of real estate investing at such a young age!

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Phoenix · Member since 2020 · 27 posts · 49 votes
    6y

    @Anthony Keys listen to the bigger pockets podcast and real estate rookie podcasts. Any time that you would normally listen to music, put those on instead. Let your brain absorb the information. If you are working, working out, or studying while it is playing an episode, liaten to it again later. (Your subconscious will remember more than you think).

    Buy the "how to invest in real estate" book to find a niche that interests you. Then read two books about that niche.

    From there, learn as much as necessary to make you feel uncomfortable but alert about financing. Real estate will never be comfortable, that is why awareness is key.

    Now you are ready. At that point you have enough knowledge to start practicing and any other excuse will ultimately land on you.

    It can be incredibly rewarding and I will just say to stay focused on your goal, and never let fear push you away from a good deal, or pull you into a bad decision. Congratulations on finding the freedom of real estate investing at such a young age!

  • Dan SheeksPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 621 posts · 362 votes
    6y

    Hey @Anthony Keys

    Congrats to you for your ambition! I work with a bunch of young aspiring real estate investors just like you, and I am willing to help you out with some advice or even chat on the phone if you wish. But I recommend you read this article I wrote for Bigger Pockets titled How to Invest in Real Estate Before Turning 21 which will address some of your questions in your post. Once you've read it, let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions. I am a high school teacher in Colorado and I am always looking to help young people get started in real estate investing or help in any way I can. Let me know if you want to chat sometime.
    https://www.biggerpockets.com/..

  • Brooke WilsonPro Member
    Realtor · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    Hi @Anthony Keys - Welcome to the group! I am in Bakersfield, too, my oldest is at the university. As you learn along the way, you might be in a prime position to look at "house hacking" by buying a multi-unit property, and also having friends rent rooms from you. You'd (likely) make money monthly after paying the mortgage. Starting young is a big advantage. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. 

  • Investor · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2015 · 483 posts · 234 votes
    6y

    @Anthony Keys this is definitely one of the best places to come and get some advice on real estate! Congrats on getting started.  As far as books are concerned, BP has their own book series that they put out that is highly recommended.  There are many different investing books that are pertinent to different people using different strategies, etc.  What are you looking to do?  Do you have any investment property currently?  

    Feel free to PM me as well with any specific questions. 

    Best

    Sunny

  • Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Sanjeev Advani no I currently don’t have any properties let any money as well. I know you need a good amount of money to start and I’m still trying to figure out the basics.

  • Investor · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2015 · 483 posts · 234 votes
    6y

    @Anthony Keys the best first step would be to speak with a qualified lender that can help you find out what you need to do to afford your first home, and what steps financially you will have to take to make that happen. 

  • Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Brooke Wilson yes I have tons of questions including buying a complex? Is there any other way I can contact you?

  • Brooke WilsonPro Member
    Realtor · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Anthony Keys - Yes. Check your connections, I tried to contact you. Thanks! 

  • Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Anthony Keys thank you all for the advice ! I will continue to learn and take in your advice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.