New Member from San Diego, CA

8 Replies

Hey everybody, I am an aspiring real estate investor located in San Diego, CA. I recently got into personal finance, which in turn drove me towards the idea of real estate investing.

I was looking at my retirement options and realized that I am not in good shape (financially) to retire at a decent age. I am 30 years old with no plan or savings towards retirement.

Thus...Real estate investing to the rescue!

Since discovering the amazing benefits of REI, I am hooked, locked-on, and driven to succeed in the world of real estate.

What's my strategy? Buy and hold rental properties. Since I live in San Diego, CA. I know that the most viable option is for me to invest in long-distance rental properties.

I have a lot of uncertainty of exactly where and how I will build a portfolio, but for now, education is helping me gain clarity. That's what I need, clarity. I have a very strong drive to do this but I'm not sure where to go or what the exact next step. I'm like a gassed up car ready to get to the destination, but the GPS is not exactly in working condition.

My goal is to build a passive portfolio that gives me the freedom time to work when I want, not because I have to. Then, I can cash out a portion of the portfolio to retire off of and leave a legacy behind me.

The last thing I want to say is thank you to all of those who took the time to read my first post and a thank you to the BP community in general. 

Feel free to ask questions. I tried to keep the post short.

Peace out!

@Rickie Camarato

Welcome to BP. Nice to meet you on here. I followed a similar path starting off with studying personal finance which led me to real estate. Now I'm pretty deep in real estate! I'm a licensed realtor here in San Diego with a continually growing rental property portfolio. If you ever want to network, discuss strategies etc. feel free to reach out.

@Rickie Camarato

Yes investing in real estate is the absolutely one of the best ways to build true generational wealth! I am a realtor and investor as well. My team and I specialize in working with investors and 2-4 unit multifamily properties. 

We absolutely lead with education first and foremost! We hold webinars that are strictly informational analysis of data/statistics/economic conditions/formulas and how to underwrite properties. 

Happy to chat further if you are interesting in attending one 

Hey man!

Congrats on looking to make moves. I'd recommend attending a few REI meet ups in San Diego. Check the Bigger Pockets Network>Events. I hold one once a month in Downtown and there are some other good ones up in North County I go to. That's a solid place to network and learn different strategies as well! Best of luck!

Hi @Rickie! 

Welcome to an incredible network! You are looking in the right place. I was in your position not too long ago and found the team I work with now just this last summer and have been in my “obsessed” phase since I found it. My team specializes in knowledge in both the real estate world and also the construction side of things, so we have a team of renovation agents. We do flips in San Diego and also host educational meetups, but happy to connect you with our group!

If you are interested, feel free to connect. 

Sarah

Hey @Rickie Camarato

Welcome and congrats on deciding to pursue REI. Sounds like you have the motivation and drive to go out and make things happen which is awesome to see! I'm only a couple years into this journey and I can tell you first hand that it is extremely fun and rewarding so enjoy the ride and try to immerse yourself with everything REI related (Listening to podcasts, being active on these forums, networking with local investors,.....)

Best of luck my man. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions! 

Cheers! 

@Mark Frattini yes I am interested in hearing a bit more on your rental strategy. Could you give me a quick 40,000 foot view of how you invest in rental properties? How has becoming a licensed realator helped you be a better investor?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you