first property investing

5 Replies

Hi everyone, I'm a new in this community and living in Houston, after reading few books about REI, now i would like to take action with my first property. However, There are some issues that I am wondering:

1) Right now I'm renting a room for couple hundreds/month of a relative, should i buy first property as SFH or Duplex? and Do i have to live there when i buy it? because i think if i still live with my relative, i can rent out my first property

2) i just have 1099 job with small saving , am i possible for loan home? or anyway i can get low down-payment?

Can everyone give me some advice that i can make decision easier ? I'm willing to getting knowledge.

@Hao Pham

I would get in touch with a few lenders to see what is possible for you as far as a loan. Typically if you do a low down payment you would have to live on the property for a year.

SFRs and duplexes are simply vehicles to get you to a destination. At this stage, buy whichever type property meets your pre-established cash flow criteria. Don't lock in on multifamily at this stage, you still have some learnings ahead and it is more important to take a first step. Small multifamily demand far exceeds current supply, thus it will be more likely to locate an attractive SFR deal. On the loan, you will receive better terms if your expressed intent is to utilize the property as your primary residence, but you have the right to change your mind, later. Later could mean as little as one day later. Lender will want to see income of last 2 years tax returns, W2 vs 1099 is not as material.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you