Newbie investor in Virginia - my first post!

Newbie investor in Virginia - my first post!

New to Real Estate · VA · Member since 2021 · 22 posts · 7 votes

Hello BP family. I'm new to Bigger Pockets and Real estate investing. I'm from the Richmond Virginia area. I purchased my primary home 3 years ago and I think I'm ready to try my hand at REI. I would love to connect with people that are local to VA to learn the ins and outs of getting started and the do's and don'ts. Possibly a mentor. Are there any Richmond VA members here? (I'm sure there are 😊)

I was reading and listening to a lot of blogs and BRRRR sounds interesting but how does one start? I'm guessing that a lot of research would need to be done to find a lender and a decent contractor especially. Again, this is all new to me and I want to learn all that I can so that I can grow and pass along the knowledge.

3Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 55 votes
5y

@Romi Gaddy

Hey, definitely start by learning how to run your numbers (ARV, estimating ballpark rehab costs, max allowable offer, etc). Then build your team consisting of your contractor, realtor, closing attorney/title company, even your accountant, hard/private money lender and your lender for the cash out refi part. Attend meetups, including Chesterfield REIA, Richmond RING, Todd Miller's Wholesaling Meetup which are back in person. Find info either through meetup.com or their Facebook pages. Network as much as you can and be ready to pull the trigger if you find a deal! If you need any help with it just shoot me a message

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Romi Gaddy

    Welcome to the BP family! Glad you joined the best real estate investing website!

    Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

    Wishing you the best!

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Welcome aboard, Romi! This is a great place to learn and to connect with people. Best of luck investing!

  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 55 votes
    5y

    @Romi Gaddy

    Hey, definitely start by learning how to run your numbers (ARV, estimating ballpark rehab costs, max allowable offer, etc). Then build your team consisting of your contractor, realtor, closing attorney/title company, even your accountant, hard/private money lender and your lender for the cash out refi part. Attend meetups, including Chesterfield REIA, Richmond RING, Todd Miller's Wholesaling Meetup which are back in person. Find info either through meetup.com or their Facebook pages. Network as much as you can and be ready to pull the trigger if you find a deal! If you need any help with it just shoot me a message

  • New to Real Estate · VA · Member since 2021 · 22 posts · 7 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Dmitriy Fomichenko:

    @Romi Gaddy

    Welcome to the BP family! Glad you joined the best real estate investing website!

    Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

    Wishing you the best!

     Thanks for the welcome. I'm excited to start learning.

  • New to Real Estate · VA · Member since 2021 · 22 posts · 7 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Julio Gonzalez:

    Welcome aboard, Romi! This is a great place to learn and to connect with people. Best of luck investing!

     Thank you. I've been reading through old post and gathering as much information as I can.

  • New to Real Estate · VA · Member since 2021 · 22 posts · 7 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Tom Hacku:

    @Romi Gaddy

    Hey, definitely start by learning how to run your numbers (ARV, estimating ballpark rehab costs, max allowable offer, etc). Then build your team consisting of your contractor, realtor, closing attorney/title company, even your accountant, hard/private money lender and your lender for the cash out refi part. Attend meetups, including Chesterfield REIA, Richmond RING, Todd Miller's Wholesaling Meetup which are back in person. Find info either through meetup.com or their Facebook pages. Network as much as you can and be ready to pull the trigger if you find a deal! If you need any help with it just shoot me a message

     Thanks for the advice Tom. I'll definitely check out meetup.com and Facebook so I can start networking.

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    You are welcome Romi, BP is the right place to learn all about REI. Many resources: webinars, podcasts, articles, forums!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Virginia Beach · Member since 2019 · 47 posts · 26 votes
    5y

    Welcome @Romi Gaddy! I also am in VA, I am located in the Hampton Roads area if you ever need anything feel free to reach out!

  • Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2018 · 87 posts · 51 votes
    5y

    @Romi Gaddy hi Welcome! I am a Richmond REI. @Tom Hacku has a lot of great points! The best way to start is to read & listen to as much about REI investing & meet like minded people! Everyone's situation is different with investing so there is no one way! Find what you think might work best for you! BRRRing is great if you can find a deal, find a contractors, & learning to evaluate a deal & calculate rehab costs. A few other pieces. Turn key rentals is a good way to start. I started with that! Feel free to reach out. Best of luck!

  • New to Real Estate · VA · Member since 2021 · 22 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Alexis Terry thanks for the warm welcome. I so want to buy a house on the beach for myself lol

  • New to Real Estate · VA · Member since 2021 · 22 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Thanks @Sarah Stamper. I'm going to look into Turn key rentals. do a little research on them. :)

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Sarah Stamper , which turnkey company did you purchase from? How was your experience and do you still have that property?

  • Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2018 · 87 posts · 51 votes
    5y

    @Tracy Diec I didn’t buy them from a turn key company. I used the term ‘turn key’ because they are brand new duplexes with virtually no Maintainence. I manage myself. They are so rentable that I have had zero vacancy with almost no turn over.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Sarah Stamper ah ok! That sounds great! 😃 thanks for replying!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Romi Gaddy:

    Hello BP family. I'm new to Bigger Pockets and Real estate investing. I'm from the Richmond Virginia area. I purchased my primary home 3 years ago and I think I'm ready to try my hand at REI. I would love to connect with people that are local to VA to learn the ins and outs of getting started and the do's and don'ts. Possibly a mentor. Are there any Richmond VA members here? (I'm sure there are 😊)

    I was reading and listening to a lot of blogs and BRRRR sounds interesting but how does one start? I'm guessing that a lot of research would need to be done to find a lender and a decent contractor especially. Again, this is all new to me and I want to learn all that I can so that I can grow and pass along the knowledge.

     Welcome aboard.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.