Notice to Quit in Connecituct

1 Reply

Hello Bigger Pockets,

I have a few questions and I really appreciate your feedback. I understand there is not particular answers to my question in current situation. I wanted to know this in normal circumstances. 

1. What is the actual day I can charge late fees from tenant in Connecticut? From what I know CT gives 9 day grace period so I can charge late fees on the 10th?

2. What is the maximum late fees can be charged? I read $10 or 5% of the amount due which ever is less, I cant imagine 5% of any rent due can be below $10. I wonder if that is per day.

3. When can I serve the notice to quit? I need to give atleast 3 days for tenant to move out from the day of notice to quit, so can i serve the notice on the 7th of the month?

4. Now this one is related to the pandemic, If my tenant is not able to pay rent, can I ask for or are the suppose to provide any paper proof that they are facing job loss or reduction in hours ar work? How do I know if they are actually facning hardship from the pandemic?

Thank you,

Sunny Ravansh

Hey @Sunny Rajvansh

Here is a link that may help you. https://jud.ct.gov/faq/landlord.html

There is a lot of information on there for you to read and study that will answer 1 through 3. You can also contact a State Marshall who will be the one serving the paperwork. He or she will be able to walk you through the process. 

As for the current situation, it really doesn't matter if your tenant can prove it or not. The Governor has decided we cannot evict tenants. If you are on Facebook, you should look up CT Landlord Page and CT RE Investors. There are landlords on there who have organized and brought a lawsuit against the Governor. 

Mat