I need a competent real estate lawyer

12 Replies

I am the owner of a condo just now getting renovated from hurricane Matthew blowing the roof off in Daytona. It came out on the channel 9 news all over Orlando and Daytona. TheHOAfinally has there end almost completed. Now comes the time I have to start organizing my interior repairs with the insurance settlement money. However the executor to the estate of this owner financed purchase is not cooperating with me on signing the insurance check in a mutual account for the repairs to begin.

I've also received 2 check payments that were not cashed or deposited into the account for this mortgage. The original owner/lender passed away and his granddaughter (who happens to be a lawyer is the new executor of the estate)

Is there anyway I can threaten her for non cooperation, to sign this insurance check for repairs? I am still living in a hotel for a year now,FEMA has made it very difficult for me to obtain rental assistance. I've continued to pay mortgage,HOA, and now rent of a hotel room. Can anyone give me a suggestion? Or point me to a reasonable legal counsel?

There is quite a famous and well known attorney in FL. His slogan is "for the people". He is now advertising as the "hurricane lawyer" or something to that effect. His firm name is Morgan and Morgan. This is in NO WAY an endorsement.

Thank you John Thedford I just filled out the free consult questionnaire. 

@Anthony Nieves I think everyone wants to believe they have had the BEST real estate lawyer because its one of those services you pay so much for and HOPED you got your money's worth. I will follow suite and offer you the name of the firm I use in Daytona Beach. I have had personal experience with them, both in person and pop-up phone Q&A. 

At Cobb Cole there is a real estate lawyer names Harold Hubka. He is very detailed and thorough in his work and explanations. As a military professional, I love seeing civilians with such good character and professionalism. Most importantly, he is INCREDIBLY fair with his pricing. Give him a try.

Here's his phone number: 386-323-nine two nine four

Thank you Raniel De La Nuez  ! I will give him a call. 

Originally posted by @Rainiel De La Nuez :

@Anthony Nieves I think everyone wants to believe they have had the BEST real estate lawyer because its one of those services you pay so much for and HOPED you got your money's worth. I will follow suite and offer you the name of the firm I use in Daytona Beach. I have had personal experience with them, both in person and pop-up phone Q&A. 

At Cobb Cole there is a real estate lawyer names Harold Hubka. He is very detailed and thorough in his work and explanations. As a military professional, I love seeing civilians with such good character and professionalism. Most importantly, he is INCREDIBLY fair with his pricing. Give him a try.

Not me

I have had 2 real estate atttys in FL both are absolutely horrendous

Still looking for a good one 

Originally posted by @Rainiel De La Nuez :

As I say I am still looking

May I ask if your experience with Harold Hubka went past the normal everyday real estate work 

Things such as bringing forclosure proceedings or creating lease option documents?

Reason I ask is I thought he specializes in trial work 

Well, typically the insurance check does Not go into a "mutual" account.  You get the repairs done, the mortgagee inspects/verifies, cuts the check to the contractor/owner.

Thank you all gentlemen. We are once again in dialogue, and communication is moving forward with the mortgage note holder. Getting quotes from contractors. It's been the very core reason to my "WHY" I want to be a buy and hold investor. I never want to have to deal with living in a hotel, relying on FEMA or any other factor if I am ever found "homeless" again due to an emergency.

If anyone needs a strong spirited person to join thier team, I have the following to offer at this time :

1. Plumbing, rough carpentry skills, own all my tools, sawzall, circular, plumbing tools, sledges, chisels, extensions, etc. 

2. Time, I currently personal train through my own llc UP Fitness and Health LLC. So I can customize my hours to fit in this hunger and passion for this business.

3. Tenacity, discipline and hustle. My day starts 5 AM  sometimes 4 AM. 

4. Social and sales skills. Zig Ziegler, Tom Hopkins, Brian Tracy, Jeffrey Gitomer, Chris Weidner, Grant Cardone...... Are all my fans! 

5. And soon will have  a brand new 2017 ocean view condo to leverage for a purchase of a duplex, tri or fourplex. 

Apart from seeking off market deals, with owner financing as an extra, I am seeking someone whom I can help and learn from. 

Please advise if you could use help in any of the above mentioned areas. 

Blessings! 

Tony N

So I am the mortgagee, however the check is made out to both the mortgage holder through an estate account associated with my mortgage payments. I need them to sign the check cut out by the insurance company, the note holder now the grand daughter of the deceased original note holder(private lender). insists in me signing the check and mail it to her so she can put it into the same account affiliated with my mortgage payment. It just doesn't feel right to me, she's a lawyer, no disrespect to lawyers, but I don't trust her. 

So as I understand what you're saying, I have the right to cut this check out to contractors pending work satisfaction and completion? With out her trying all of a sudden being so controlling? I understand they need to protect their interests in the property. However should I see proof of an escrow account being used for the purpose of these repairs? I feel as it stands now, I would have to go through her to pay the contractor, and after it's all said and done, any monies left over have not been discussed moreover the subject is always "shelved" when I bring it up. 

Please give me your thoughts thank you

No Anthony, you are the Mortgagor, the estate is the Mortgagee. The mortgagee paying out the proceeds as work progresses is standard, to protect their interest. I think you are being the problem here.

Thank you for the clarification. I misunderstood the definition of mortgagee. 

Blessings! 

For anyone coming to this thread late. I should note that the number above for "At Cobb Cole there is a real estate lawyer names Harold Hubka." does not go directly to Harold, but to someone else that works there. She was very helpful, but note that this number is not Harold's or the Main office number to call. I recommend using 1 (386) two five five eight 1 seven 1.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here