West Palm Beach - Neighborhood Experience

11 Replies

Hey FL BP,

looking at a few properties that have caught my eye in West Palm. I'm from a bit more south and only know what I can see from MLS data and google street views. I would love to connect with someone local and talk shop. Possibly open to sharing a lead or two as well.

Specifically, has anyone had any luck with STRs near Old Northwood or have any specific areas to avoid in WPB?

I typically want B class or better neighborhoods unless there is just an astronomical upside potential for C/D. 

thanks in advance

Hey Jonathan, I grew up in WPB before moving to Los Angeles. I'm actually in WPB right now looking at real estate. It might be worth looking into the "Lake Osbourne" neighborhood which is a little south of Lake Worth. There are some pool homes available for a decent price. The only issue is the STR nightly pricing. I've found you can get higher per-nightly rentals in other parts of the state..

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor

@John Cornelius I will check that area out today. I've definitely noticed some of the nightly rates can be pretty weak around WPB 40-50$/night (who pays the maid?) haha. I'm also looking into some property development and/or rehab options for B&H plays. Do you have any thoughts about some of these old properties that seem to litter many neighborhoods in WPB? Seems pretty prime for flips

@Jonathan Nixon To be honest I haven't spent a lot of time in the area.  It seems like there are a few projects scheduled to go up in the Northwood area. It's definitely street dependent. East of broadway seemed to be better. Let me know what you think after checking it out. 

@Jonathan Nixon I've been focusing on Northwood lately looking at multi-family. I spend a lot of time in the area as most of my projects are near by on Palm Beach Island. It definitely has some potential as there is a lot of new development. The Rybovich expansion, Marina Village etc. However you need to be careful as areas can vary drastically block to block. Another interesting fact is that part or possibly all of Northwood is an opportunity zone.

Feel free to reach out if you're interested in connecting and discussing further. 

Hay Jonathan, Regarding your interest in STRs in Palm Beach County, a lot depends on the type of STRs you are looking to focus on as STRs range from Hotel & Motels, Airbnb, to 6-month rentals. I more or less grew up in Palm Beach County and currently managing leased rentals. I am fully aware of the opportunities and locations of Palm Beach County If you would like, feel free to contact me.

Best of luck with your ventures,

Sincerely,

James L Roberts 

Originally posted by @Jonathan Nixon :

@John Cornelius I will check that area out today. I've definitely noticed some of the nightly rates can be pretty weak around WPB 40-50$/night (who pays the maid?) haha. I'm also looking into some property development and/or rehab options for B&H plays. Do you have any thoughts about some of these old properties that seem to litter many neighborhoods in WPB? Seems pretty prime for flips

There's an "opportunity zone" in Lake Worth that's worth (no pun intended) a look. I don't have the exact neighborhood info on hand but you can google "Florida opportunity zones" and find an interactive map..

For the old properties in WPB...some of those neighborhoods are so dangerous you wouldn't want to drive by in the day time, let alone at night!! I was looking in WPB all last week..now I'm up in North Florida looking at some properties. 

When I'm back in WPB let's meet up and compare notes!

@Jonathan Nixon feel free to message me directly. Northwood area is good but can change dramatically street to street. Much of wpb is like that actually....