Votes
Adam Skay
  • Winter Haven, FL
Votes |
Hurricane preparations Request I’m getting from my tenants

Adam Skay
  • Winter Haven, FL
Posted Aug 29 2019, 15:36

Are you boarding up the windows for your tenants and delivering them sandbags? These are the request I’m getting

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Heimsoth
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
  • Durham, NC
Replied Aug 29 2019, 16:06

@Adam Skay. I can’t imagine that would be economical. I would say I hope they have renters insurance and you can provide that stuff if you think it’s in the best interest of the property.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Aug 29 2019, 16:13

" Sorry , I have evacuated already "

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Vern M.
  • Property Manager
  • Bowie, MD
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Bowie, MD
Replied Aug 29 2019, 16:35

have them take photos of their stuff, keep all of their documents stored in a ziplock bag and kept in a secure place, bring in or tie down exterior stuff, get rid of flammables, if you have problem areas that collect water, then def hit those areas with tarp and sandbags. Then call your 3 favorite water extraction, carpet cleaning, handyman and roofers, and keep on their first response list.

If you have time, hit those sump pumps, batteries, leaning trees, drains and gutters. 

User Stats

Votes
Vern M.
  • Property Manager
  • Bowie, MD
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Bowie, MD
Replied Aug 29 2019, 16:38

Also, you could find out the location of shelters that do and don't take pets, as well as remind them that staying in the unit with a cat 4 hurricane running through don't make them a hero.

User Stats

Votes
Adam Skay
  • Winter Haven, FL
Votes |
  • Winter Haven, FL
Replied Aug 29 2019, 16:55

That’s along with what I was thinking and I loved the “I have already evacuated “. I’m going to use that one

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Aug 29 2019, 17:51

It’s Not your job to protect their belongings....you do what you think is prudent to protect Your house, their belongings are up to them.

User Stats

Votes
Noel Dixon
Votes |
Replied Aug 29 2019, 18:03

@Wayne Brooks

I logged on to forum to find out what hurricane discussions were going on. Just bought property in wpb fl. Tired of hurricanes when I moved to fl ran into 2. From blizzards to this.

Account Closed
  • Central, fl
Votes |
  • Central, fl
Replied Aug 29 2019, 18:09
Originally posted by @Adam Skay:

Are you boarding up the windows for your tenants and delivering them sandbags? These are the request I’m getting

No that’s crazy talk.  Most sandbags come from the city for free (typically you get 10 per address)   You have to prove you live there.

This falls under tenants responsibility.  

Account Closed
  • Central, fl
Votes |
  • Central, fl
Replied Aug 29 2019, 18:12

I live and have property in central Florida.  I notified my tenants to ensure no lose items were around the property.  The cities around orlando are fairly good at notifying people of how to prepare for a hurricane. 

Now what people do to prepare for a hurricane is completely different. I never knew gas was so in demand, mmm do these people not drive any other day of the week?

Plus I believe people are buying 40 cases of water per person in the household.  Lol.  Should of bought some coke stock for all the water they are selling. 

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Aug 29 2019, 18:59

@Account Closed A couple of reasons for the run on gas.....most gas stations don’t have generators so most will have no gas when the power goes out for a week or more....people need gas for their generators and cars in the mean time.  I usually 50 or so gallons in 5 gallon cans....the generator is an easy 10 gallons a day.

Account Closed
  • Central, fl
Votes |
  • Central, fl
Replied Aug 29 2019, 19:14
Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks:

@Account Closed A couple of reasons for the run on gas.....most gas stations don’t have generators so most will have no gas when the power goes out for a week or more....people need gas for their generators and cars in the mean time.  I usually 50 or so gallons in 5 gallon cans....the generator is an easy 10 gallons a day.

I’m from the area.  It’s funny watching people flip out.  

And as always.

• Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I get that people need gas, water, or bread, I do understand it  though it’s funny how people forget they need it until it’s a crisis.  Because come to find out bottled water stores really well, and bread freezes just fine too.  

User Stats

Votes
Kristin Kiddy
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ormond Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ormond Beach, FL
Replied Aug 30 2019, 08:04

I have shutters for my rental.  I went over yesterday to help the tenant put them up.  Specifically, I wanted to make sure they were put up correctly.  I would have put them up myself, but he wanted to help.  My other rental actually came with accordion shutters on all the windows (One of the reasons I purchased the property!).  So very easy for my tenant to close up for a storm.  @Account Closed I think that is a great idea to notify tenants and remind them to bring in/secure lawn furniture and trash cans etc.   People always forget about trash cans.

IRA Club  logo
IRA Club
|
Sponsored
An IRA Administrator Flat fees. No percentages. Grow your retirement fund: Invest in real estate with a self-directed IRA