Votes
John Ballard
  • St Petersburg, Fl
Votes |
Buying a home in Greater Tampa/St Pete.

John Ballard
  • St Petersburg, Fl
Posted Nov 10 2019, 13:51

I am in the process of learning how to invest in real estate, now that I am mostly an empty nester. I was taking it slow at first, so I didn't make big mistakes. I was looking for a multi family home or one with a mother in law suite. In the past two months I have been forced to move sooner than later. I do not have enough liquidity to use cash, so I am using a VA loan.

Are there preferred areas and neighborhoods to buy a starter home? Areas that will also have a better chance at being a good investment with sweat equity? I would do most of the work myself with the help of my friend that is a GC. 

I was looking in the greater St Pete area, since its near my aging mother. I am not finding much and totally disappointed in the realtors I am coming across. Most say a home is always a good investment, want me to move in an area that would be unsafe for my daughters, don't understand VA loans, or want me to find a home that "speaks to your heart".

From what I've read, it seems like buying a starter home and leaving the rest of my approval income to do a traditional or FHA loan to buy an investment home out of state in a less expensive state/area.

Do you have any advice, suggestions, words of wisdom, or constructive criticism?

Loading replies...