• Naperville, IL
Votes |
No Rent, but I got a Jet ski - sort of

Joe Hermanson
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Naperville, IL
Posted Jun 26 2019, 10:32

Landlording is fun!!  One of my garage renters didn't pay me rent for 11 months, because he was in jail and I couldn't get in touch with him.  He left a jet ski/trailer in the unit, so I couldn't move it out and get a new tenant in there.  His friend is managing his affairs while he's in jail, and has been very slow responding to me.  The tenant finally decided to give me the jet ski as payment of back rent and sent me a bill of sale and a copy of the title.  The problem is that he never finished transferring the title fully over to his name when he originally bought it, so the copy of the title he sent me is signed by him and the former owner.  My question is what do I do with this Jet ski?  I can't use it, insure it or sell it because the title is not in my name, and I can't give it away because I don't technically own it.  I have moved it out of the unit and re-rented it, since he gave me "ownership" of the jet ski with the bill of sale.  An additional issue is that the title is from Michigan and I'm in Illinois.  Any help would be appreciated.  Please be kind in the comments : )

• Engineer ILLINOIS (#062069189), Louisiana (#0041627), Mississippi (#28974), and Texas (#127485)

• JHD Luxe Properties LLC
JHD Luxe Properties LLC Logo