The Power of QuickBooks Did I pay that bill and when?

3 Replies

Having trouble knowing whether or not you paid a bill? No problem in QuickBooks. (Screenshot may vary depending on the version of QuickBooks you own. This is taken from version 2014)

Click on “Edit” from the upper taskbar then click on “Find” from the drop-down menu.

Small 1393233737 Did I Pay That Bill Pg 1

This window will appear. It is here you will choose what you want to search for from the menu list that pops up.

Small 1393234079 Did I Pay That Bill Pg 4

Let's see if we can find a bill that we paid.

Choose bill from the Transaction Type Field window.

Small 1393233805 Did I Pay That Bill Pg 2

You can choose to search by Vendor, Date, Reference # or an amount. Let’s click on the little arrow in the “Vendor” field.

Small 1393233947 Did I Pay That Bill Pg 3

Small 1393234240 Did I Pay That Bill Pg 5

Let’s see if we entered a water bill for our property at 7778 Archdale Street.

Choose “Walled Lake Water Dept.” from the drop-down list.

Click on the “ Find Button” to your right.

Small 1393234333 Did I Pay That Bill Pg 6 Jpg

Small 1393234399 Did I Pay That Bill Pg 7

There it is! You could have searched for the amount of the bill and would have achieved this information as well by searching for the amount instead of by name. Many ways to find if you paid a bill, if a tenant paid an invoice, to find a specific check you wrote and more!

We see we entered the Bill for the water bill we received, so, let's see if we paid it.

Choose Check from the Transaction Type Field, then type in the amount you are looking for. Click on Find.

Small 1393234520 Did I Pay That Bill Pg 8

When that check appears, click on the “Go To” Button to the right in order to see the actual check.

Small 1393234712 Did I Pay That Bill Pg 9

We now see that we paid it with check #1 on February 4, 2014

But this was a Reimbursable Bill. Did the tenant ever pay us back?

Let’s do a search by Invoice to see if the Tenant paid us back.

Small 1393234815 Did I Pay That Bill Pg 10

There's the transaction. Let's click on the "Go to " Button and see the actual transaction in play.

Small 1393234905 Did I Pay That Bill Pg 11

Yep, it's been paid. QuickBooks has marked it paid as well.

Good information as always Nancy. 

When I upgraded my computer, the screen resolution changed to 4k, and since QuickBooks Desktop version doesn't support 4k, I had to find an alternative. I wanted QuickBooks online, but if you want the class tracking feature, it's $60/m! That's way too expensive, so I decided to go with Xero with $10/m. It does the minimum of what I need, but not as good as QuickBooks. I hope that the next version of QuickBooks will support 4k, and I'll jump back.

Soh, I did some research on this subject and found this.  I hope this will help.

Quickbooks display issues on high resolution displays

This article provides the information on "QuickBooks display issues on high resolution displays".

QuickBooks display issues.

Users of Intuit QuickBooks have reported difficulties using the application on systems with high resolution graphic displays. (1920 x 1200 screen resolution and higher to include 4k and 5k displays).

Symptoms may include any of the following:

• A transaction form does not fit on the screen.
  • The sizing icons at the top right of a window do not appear.
  • A field overwrites and hides its label.
  • Missing buttons.
  • Screen is distorted when you maximize or minimize it.
  • The fonts are too big.

The reason for this is that QuickBooks is designed and codes for the Default Windows dot per inch (DPI) value of Smaller-100% (96 DPI). Many systems with high resolution displays now ship with DPI settings of 125 to 150%.

Solution.

Intuit has listed two manners of compensating with this issue.

• Set the Windows DPI to Smaller 100% (96 DPI)

NOTE: Reducing the DPI setting will make text in Windows smaller as the DPI is lowered.

• Change the properties of QuickBooks

1.Right click on the icon for QuickBooks.

2.Left click on Properties.

3.Left click on the Compatibility tab.

4.Check the box next to Disable display scaling or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations on high DPI settings.

5.Click OK.

6.Open QuickBooks and check to see if the windows are visible.

NOTE: If the user continues to have issues with their QuickBooks installation, refer them to QuickBooks technical support.

REFERENCE:

QuickBooks Knowledgebase Article ID HOW13289 - Correct QuickBooks display issues

Article ID: SLN297931

Last Date Modified: 09/20/2017 12:30 PM

Thanks Nancy. A few more months before QuickBooks 2019 will come out (I think), so I'll wait at this point.