Do you keep a supply of food on hand?

Do you keep a supply of food on hand?

Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes

This is not to be apocalyptic but to bring back to the front of people's minds a tradition that seems to have been lost recently. People used to keep pantries with significant stores of preserved food on hand in the case of emergencies or a temporary loss of income. I have personally experienced times when I've not had the money to buy food and have had to not eat for a day or two and/or eat for about $1 a day. Having been through that, whenever I sell a property or do a deal that flushes me with quick cash one of the first things I do is increase the preserved food stock.

In real estate, investing and just life in general for that matter, you have to anticipate the possibility that you may be without capital for a while for some unforeseen reason. I have a sense we are especially prone to this in real estate as not many other investment vehicles may need unexpected repairs and in the event of a natural disaster hitting your portfolio, you're not only dealing with the damage to your home but the income from your portfolio is instantly gone until you reach an insurance settlement and repairs are done.

For these reasons, I personally think it's smart for a person in the feast/famine lifestyle of real estate investing to keep at the bare minimum a one month supply of nonperishable food on hand. It's ridiculously easy to accomplish - even for apartment dwellers. I was able to create a stock that I could put inside an 18 gallon rubbermaid tub that could be pushed into the back of a closet. If anyone wants some photos of how I did that, I could put that together.

So let's hear it. Do you carry at least a 1 month supply of nonperishable food on hand? If not, speak up and within 7 days I'll help you get set up to where you can say yes. I'm willing to work with folks on this to get this set up. A 1 month supply is not the end game, but it's an easy start that most folks can handle.

Tim

2Reply
113 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
17y

I wish I could find my previous posts on this subject, but as most know, I'M NO TECHIE!!
This is a subject I'm real involved in. I don't mean to Proselyte here, But I'm Mormon. Our leaders have suggested all members have up to a TWO year supply of food, 6 months of expenses in reserve cash, as much water as possible and some way to prepare and rotate the food.
My wife and I have done that. When we had 6 kids at home, I bought 20 acres in S. Utah and was fully self sufficient.Installed 1/2 acre pond,12 ft deep, with rubber liner, 60 ft tall wind generator, auto tracking solar panel system, batteries, a 300 ft deep well, low voltage elec, solar fridge, timber on the acreage, a 24x30 basement UNDER a garage for food storage, sleeping bags, pillows, guns, ammunition etc.
Now, my kids are grown and gone. I still have more than 2 year supply of food and lots of water, as well as cash, gold and silver.
PLEASE, don't forget the water. You can LIVE a long time with no food, not so long with no water. This is really important.
Three examples.
1. Wifey and I were in Cancun during Wilma. It destroyed all 5 of our condos. We were without elec for 9 days and without running water for 30 days!!

Before you say it can't happen in U.S.

2. St. George , Utah had a forest fire TWO HUNDRED miles north that burned up the electric substation and transmission lines. No elec for 4 or 5 days. That means, no gas pumping ability, NO groceries(all cash registers are down) , no elec stoves, and a lot of other problems.

3. Also S. George. The dam that supplies water broke New Years eve 20 years ago and went roaring down Virgin River Gorge, damaging I-15. It is the only HWY between Vegas and no. Utah No trucks were making trip. People panicked and emptied the grocery stores in half day.

I always have felt that it is good to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

If there is enuff interest in this subject, let me know and I can post or blog in greater detail. Pm or vote for post to let me know of interest. Above all, follow Tims' suggestion. It is like insurance. You don't expect an accident or medical problem, but you have insurance... This only makes sense. Good luck. Rich in FL.

p.s. If you're in my area and we incur an emergency, you're welcome to come share my stuff-not cash and gold/silver!

See this reply in the discussion

70 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    17y

    We do keep a food supply on hand, but in the old school way. We have a small herd of dairy goats that give about 3 gallons of milk a day. Also cheese. We have chickens that give us a dozen eggs a day. A Jersey cow that is about to have a calf. A garden. Fruit trees. Like I said, old school.

    We also keep more food in the house than most, but not as strategically as you are doing.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    17y

    Tim -- what are your thoughts on freeze-dried and/or MREs? Any brands or sites you like?

    I'm moving into a house with a basement but I'd rather not have to climb up and down regularly to rotate supplies.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    17y

    I wish I could find my previous posts on this subject, but as most know, I'M NO TECHIE!!
    This is a subject I'm real involved in. I don't mean to Proselyte here, But I'm Mormon. Our leaders have suggested all members have up to a TWO year supply of food, 6 months of expenses in reserve cash, as much water as possible and some way to prepare and rotate the food.
    My wife and I have done that. When we had 6 kids at home, I bought 20 acres in S. Utah and was fully self sufficient.Installed 1/2 acre pond,12 ft deep, with rubber liner, 60 ft tall wind generator, auto tracking solar panel system, batteries, a 300 ft deep well, low voltage elec, solar fridge, timber on the acreage, a 24x30 basement UNDER a garage for food storage, sleeping bags, pillows, guns, ammunition etc.
    Now, my kids are grown and gone. I still have more than 2 year supply of food and lots of water, as well as cash, gold and silver.
    PLEASE, don't forget the water. You can LIVE a long time with no food, not so long with no water. This is really important.
    Three examples.
    1. Wifey and I were in Cancun during Wilma. It destroyed all 5 of our condos. We were without elec for 9 days and without running water for 30 days!!

    Before you say it can't happen in U.S.

    2. St. George , Utah had a forest fire TWO HUNDRED miles north that burned up the electric substation and transmission lines. No elec for 4 or 5 days. That means, no gas pumping ability, NO groceries(all cash registers are down) , no elec stoves, and a lot of other problems.

    3. Also S. George. The dam that supplies water broke New Years eve 20 years ago and went roaring down Virgin River Gorge, damaging I-15. It is the only HWY between Vegas and no. Utah No trucks were making trip. People panicked and emptied the grocery stores in half day.

    I always have felt that it is good to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

    If there is enuff interest in this subject, let me know and I can post or blog in greater detail. Pm or vote for post to let me know of interest. Above all, follow Tims' suggestion. It is like insurance. You don't expect an accident or medical problem, but you have insurance... This only makes sense. Good luck. Rich in FL.

    p.s. If you're in my area and we incur an emergency, you're welcome to come share my stuff-not cash and gold/silver!

  • Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2008 · 716 posts · 41 votes
    17y

    I am not sure if we have a "one month supply", but we do keep a decent sized pantry. We have 5 in the family (3 kids) and the same busy lives most of you do.

    With apartments, our construction business, and life in general we do not always make it to the store on the day we 'need' something. For example, we have had no milk in the house for 2 days (one kid is a 14 month old) and plan to pick some up today. Thus, the pantry has helped to allow us to do a 'big purchases' filling the car every two weeks or so making us much more efficient in our shopping.

    On a side note, we recently have picked up a couple of 5 gal. jugs of water from Home Depot in case a storm takes out the electric or public water... just to get us through.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    I envy you Jon. I've actually been looking for a 25 +/- acre parcel within a half hour or so of my RE portfolio to do some small scale food production. Any time you can properly shift from being a consumer to a producer is a good thing in my opinion.

    Mark - MRE's were always expensive when I found them. I never found that I HAD to have them when I could go to Walmart and put together what I needed to survive pretty easily. Cheaperthandirt.com seems to have the best prices on anything I've found related to any of this.

    Rich - I like the sound of your acreage. There's an electronic copy of the Mormon "handbook" I guess you could call it on storing food. I often use it as a reference.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    17y

    Tim- an excellent handbook. If only EVERY person could and would do that. Rich

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Yes, I certainly have more than a month's supply of food; 25,000 gallons of water; guns, and ammo.

    It's only smart to be prepared!

    Mike

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    17y

    "25,000 gallons of water;" Your swimming pool?

    Formed in my mind as a witty response, but then I realized it is a reservoir that can be used for whatever.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Yes, the swimming pool - great source of water. I also have a gallon of bleach with my emergency supplies to purify water.

    Mike

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    17y

    Mikeoh- Might I also suggest a coleman or wood burning stove. You can boil other water if neccessary to kill the little critters in it... Rich

  • Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 171 posts · 27 votes
    17y

    This is a good reminder for me: I use a dog food sold in animal feed stores, rather than grocers. We have about 2 weeks of kibble left. I was in the area recently and consciously decided to not buy that day because (knowing better) I would be there again soon. :oops:
    I'm not always able to get out easily, so do keep a supply of some things (need to add dog food to that list). But rather than going again when I can, I use it all up, then go get more.

    A few questions:
    What's to stop theives from B&E when that emergency occurs? Wasn't it the cops who took all the guns from registered owners after Katrina?
    How does one store without a cold cellar/room?
    How and where does one store feuls in hot dry climates, with neighbors only feet away?
    MRead

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y


    That's what the guns and ammo are for.



    In many non-socialist states, the state governments have passed laws prohibiting guns from being taken during an emergency. Even without that, we have an INDIVIDUAL CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to keep and bear arms. If the police don't follow the law, then they are criminals and that's what the guns and ammo are for. I certainly would not give up my guns during an emergency when my family is threatened by criminals. I believe that would only be an issue in the cities, and primarily cities run by socialists. In more rural areas, the police wound't even think about trying to take our guns. If they did that where I live here in Ohio, they wouldn't make it through the 1st day - people just wouldn't stand for it! Furthermore, our state government is very pro-2A and they wouldn't even think about trying to take our guns.

    Our founding fathers clearly intended citizens to have firearms as a check and balance to the GOVERNMENT! Firearms were not merely intended to be used for self-defense and hunting.



    My supply of food is mainly canned goods and dry goods, along with Ramen Noodles, sugar, salt, a crank radio, crank flashlight, survival manual, etc. In other words, all the stuff that the government is suggesting you have in your emergency stockpile.
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    Yes, the swimming pool - great source of water. I also have a gallon of bleach with my emergency supplies to purify water.

    Mike


    I hadn't thought of that. Pool is a very good idea. I live 2 block from a river. So I'm not overly concerned about water aside from my stores of water I already have. The only thing I'm without is a Berkeley filter. That's my next purchase.

    Tim

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by M Read:
    What's to stop theives from B&E when that emergency occurs?

    Guns and dogs to start with for the hardened bad people. For the good people who are simply desperate and acting out of fear, a gun gets them to stop and think and be rational and then gives you a chance to calm their fears and share some food with them and help them put a plan together of what they're going to do. Most people aren't bad, they just go crazy when the instructions and systems they knew disappear and they need time for a new system and new instructions.

    Originally posted by M Read:
    Wasn't it the cops who took all the guns from registered owners after Katrina?

    Like Mike said, where you live affects this heavily. Also, I'm a legal gun owner and I'm mentally prepared for a possibly attempted confiscation of all firearms from the citizenry. They may get every one of them that the authorities have paperwork on. You might want to do some shopping before Mr. Biden "closes the gun show loophole".

    Originally posted by M Read:
    How does one store without a cold cellar/room?

    Do you have a closet? How many people are in your house?

    Originally posted by M Read:
    How and where does one store feuls in hot dry climates, with neighbors only feet away?


    Research options to survive without fuels. What exactly is it you need fuels for?
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:

    Research options to survive without fuels. What exactly is it you need fuels for?


    To fly somewhere where there is food...

    I keep enough fuel to fly my Cessna a few hundred miles at all times...I guess it could be used to find food in case of emergency...

    If we can't fly for some reason, we can use the fuel for the car instead, and we always have about 2 months worth of cereal in the pantry (gotta love Costco), and enough dog food to fatten up the pup, in case we need to eat her...

    Of course, if we eat the dog, then we need to protect ourselves, but that's why I have 15 years of martial arts training, some McGyver skills, and some not-so-legal weapons that I could probably figure out how to use if I really needed them...

    And if things are even worse than that, we have a lot of board games that we can play to wait out the apocalypse that is going on around us...
  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    17y

    check the electronic book Tim suggested. There is info on storage length of various food. Wheat, beans, dry cereals, fruits drink mixes etc will store a very long time. We've opened some 10-15 years later to test it and it is still good. Rich at the airport, WAITING!!!

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
    Originally posted by M Read:
    How and where does one store feuls in hot dry climates, with neighbors only feet away?


    Research options to survive without fuels. What exactly is it you need fuels for?


    Going a bit further into this. Determine what exactly it is you need fuel for. Is it a generator? Ok, what are you going to use the generator for? Can you use something else? Can you have someplace else to go to that is set up properly? Hot, dry climate makes me wonder if you're in the southwest? Can you get a few cheap acres within in 1 gas tank's drive and put a trailer and a spring on it? No, we're not talking about living - just a place to "bug out" to. No problem storing gas on a place like that. If you don't have a water source, certainly store water but also look into machines that draw ambient water out of the air and collect it for you.

    There are solutions close by your. More important that "getting away" is getting creative with where you are and what you have. Tell me where exactly you live geographically and I can give you a lot more info based on where exactly you live.

    Tim

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Rich Weese:
    check the electronic book Tim suggested. There is info on storage length of various food. Wheat, beans, dry cereals, fruits drink mixes etc will store a very long time. We've opened some 10-15 years later to test it and it is still good. Rich at the airport, WAITING!!!


    Here's an online source of this info. Note, this site contains a lot of fire and brimstone. Don't read it when you're alone at night. :lol: I'm not posting it for that. Personally if I needed to survive in the desert I'd have no problem checking the Quran for technical tips and this site seems to be the best centralized source of the technical info you need that I've found on the net so just take what info you need from there.

    http://www.standeyo.com/News_Files/Hollys.html

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    and some not-so-legal weapons


    No one here is advocating any violation of weapons laws. Never violate weapons laws. Don't even joke about it, no matter how innocent it may seem. That's a lesson that Randy Weaver, a US veteran who put his life on the line for this country, learned at the cost of his wife and son whom Federal Agents murdered and the Federal Government paid him off to settle a wrongful death suit.
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    ...and why would anyone need illegal weapons, when you can go to the gun shop and buy all the legal weapons you like?

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    ...and why would anyone need illegal weapons, when you can go to the gun shop and buy all the legal weapons you like?


    Some people have weapons that are not kept for the purpose of protection...and instead are kept more as "souvenirs"...

    I don't know any of these people, so I can't really comment beyond that...

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Some people have weapons that are not kept for the purpose of protection...and instead are kept more as "souvenirs"...


    That's not illegal at all unless obtained by illegal means. I used to have a Walther P-38 that I legally owned that was taken from a dead Luftwaffe pilot in WWII and legally brought to the US by a serviceman. Importation laws have since changed.

    It is also perfect legal at this point in time for people who are legally able to purchase firearms to purchase firearms from other private citizens who are legally able to sell firearms without filing federal forms that FFL dealers are required to file, provided you follow all your local laws.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:

    That's not illegal at all unless obtained by illegal means.


    Or if it's we're not talking about "firearms"...

    I'm very familiar with firearms, but outside that, I don't know what types of weapons are legal and what types are illegal...my guess is that most are legal, even if you don't want your local police force stumbling upon them while executing a search warrant... :)
  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    17y

    Quick gun story.
    I pack sometimes on trips. I was in a little suite and had my gun, LOADED and forgot it when I left for the day. Soon, I received a call from the Sherriff. The maid had found it and the sherriff was called. He told me to come pick it up. He had enetered it into evidence and disassebled the gun for safety. I went in, signed for it and received the gun and box of ammo in a brown paper bag. I'll be more careful now... Rich

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Rich Weese:
    Quick gun story.
    I pack sometimes on trips. I was in a little suite and had my gun, LOADED and forgot it when I left for the day. Soon, I received a call from the Sherriff. The maid had found it and the sherriff was called. He told me to come pick it up. He had enetered it into evidence and disassebled the gun for safety. I went in, signed for it and received the gun and box of ammo in a brown paper bag. I'll be more careful now... Rich


    Rich -

    I'm not at all familiar with gun laws...what part of what you did was illegal (if anything)?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.