Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Louisiana Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Greg Jeanfreau
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
House Hack Rental or Disposal Dilemma

Greg Jeanfreau
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New Orleans, LA
Posted Jun 7 2017, 15:57

Hello all, 

My wife and I are currently in an interesting situation with our investments and we are trying to come up with the best plan of action to proceed. For the last 8 years or so, we have been living in a 2/3 of double in New Orleans, Louisiana that I renovated over a long and exhaustive 3 years. I put a lot of my own blood, sweat and tears into the renovation and really tried to make it a place that we could enjoy while keeping in mind that it would ultimately become a rental...so I thought. 

I will get to some numbers. I paid $120k for it in 2006 and by 2009, put about $160k into the renovations for a total capital outlay of $280k. This involved moving into the small unit while I finished the "owner's unit" in the mornings and evenings. We finally finished our side and rented out the small side. We have only had 2 tenants on the small side and have never had to advertise because the location is very sought after and the tenants stay for years at a time. When we finished the renovation, the property was worth maybe $300k-$340k, but because I did so much of the work myself and paid for a lot of it out of pocket over the years, we still only owed about $120k by 2010. So, I refinanced to a 15 year to accelerate that paydown and then opened a HELOC for about $170k on the house. We have used that HELOC to BRRRR a few rentals and it has been great! But now, we just bought a new house that we are renovating for ourselves (and our little one arriving next month) and need to decide what to do with our current house. At this time, it is worth probably $375k-$425k all day. If we rent out our side we will get $1700 and the smaller side is renting for $950. Now, we don't owe much on it at this point (about $72k) with about 6 years left, so it is cash flowing. If someone came to me and said they had a "deal" for $400k with $2650 in total rent, I would not even consider it, but that is essentially what we would be doing in a way. But it is a higher end rental and we can really pick and choose our tenants. As Jay Papasan said the tenants that this property attracts are the types that I would "invite to dinner" with good credit and spotless backgrounds. So, if we walked with $250k-$300k, we could continue to BRRRR, but without the HELOC interest payment pressure. Or we can keep our house, keep the HELOC and continue, but without the higher potential cash flow that could come from transferring our equity into say, two (or limitless BRRRR) doubles. Another factor to consider is that since 2/3 of it was our residence for at least 2 out of the last 5 years, we would only pay capital gain and depreciation recapture on the 1/3 rental portion. Also, the market in NOLA has been HOT and it may be a good idea to be a little fearful while others are still greedy. So, if you've stuck with me to this point, thank you and I hope you will share your opinion on this dilemma (for which I am very grateful to be in). So, should we sell or hold? 

Loading replies...