• Biddeford, ME
Votes |
Verbal Lease Termination? Late rent. Newbie Needs HELP

Elliot B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Biddeford, ME
Posted Jul 10 2018, 14:22

Hey all,

I just had my first tenant inform me that they will be "moving on". They informed me on the day that their new lease was due to be signed and returned to me (7/1). Additionally, they paid me the old rent amount... $200 short of the new amount. I gave them 45 days notice of the new lease and rent increase (5/15). I believe that I legally should have been given 30 days notice of termination by 6/1. This is a month-to-month / at-will tenancy (these are the same thing, right?)

Now, I just spoke with the tenant again and was told that it might not be until September that they move out. When we first spoke about their intent to leave, it was clearly stated that they would be moving out at the end of the month. They made it clear that they had spoken with Pine Tree Legal (big tenant advocate) who allegedly had advised them to only pay me the old rent amount and not sign the new lease.

In summary:

- The tenant did not sign the new lease for July nor give me any indication that they would be leaving.

- They stiffed me $200 (the difference between the old and new rent).

- They claim that their verbal termination doesn't count and that they can stay until the end of September because I haven't received a written notice to terminate.

How should I handle this?

I would obviously like to get the $200 that I'm owed (Am I owed that since they didn't sign the lease but did have 45 day notice??)

But if push comes to shove, I'd rather forfeit the $200 and get them out at the end of the month as pain-free as possible.

What should I do?

- Immediate Intent to Terminate notice? (anyone have a template?)

- Immediate Eviction Notice? (template??)

- Late rent notice?

Any advice from the veteran landlords out there would be appreciated!

Loading replies...