Augusta/Waterville/Winslow/Fairfield Rental Market

Augusta/Waterville/Winslow/Fairfield Rental Market

Bella Vista, AR · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 8 votes

I was hoping someone could shed some light on the current status of the rental market in the Augusta/Waterville/Winslow/Fairfield area.  Since reasonably priced triplexes or greater seem to be getting hard to come by in the greater Bangor area, I've expanded my search south a ways and found there to be a bunch of multi's coming on the market in the Augusta area priced pretty reasonably.  Every seller claims to have "great rental history" and "low vacancy rates"  but I am wondering if this is true in an area with a declining population and what seems to be a saturation of multi units on the market..  If any investors or residents of the area could provide some insight it would be greatly appreciated!

4Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
8y

Be careful of anything in Augusta. Check with code enforcement. They are forcing landlords out of business, so make sure there are no outstanding violations and that it's been inspected recently.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Prices in Central Maine are really high right now too. I've been to auctions and searching the MLS, but "deals" have been hard to find.

  • Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
    8y

    Be careful of anything in Augusta. Check with code enforcement. They are forcing landlords out of business, so make sure there are no outstanding violations and that it's been inspected recently.

  • Gorham, ME · Member since 2018 · 280 posts · 186 votes
    8y

    @Justin Giroux MLS and Auctions are not where the deals are. Deff need to be thinking off market with leads. Have to get creative, all my deals I even look at are off market and cannot be found on MLS or at auctions.

  • Rental Property Investor · Waterville Maine · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    I'm in Waterville. The market is incredibly hot and I would argue over inflated due to the work Colby is doing. I'm grinding deals right now but am seriously considering alternative markets. 

    Skowhegan is on my short list. Looks friendly to investors, has a great footprint and the Mill is cranking for the foreseeable future. Rumor has it that they are doing packaging for amzn. They have brought around 300mm to the area without the hype of Colby.

  • Rental Property Investor · Central Maine · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    What type of tenant's are you looking to have? college professors, students, low income?

    There are a ton of multi families in Augusta, most are in rough shape and rents low enough to attract tenants who I would not want to rent to.  I think above 900/month is where you start to get better quality tenants that won't destroy the place.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.