Finance Student with a Passion for Multifamily RE

3 Replies

Hi everyone,

My name's Nate and I'm a 24 year old senior finance student who's interested in real estate investing, acquisitions, and development. 

About Me

I initially started out as a civil engineering major and interned for a 100-person engineering firm in Boston in their plumbing and fire protection department but ultimately went on to pursue a degree in finance. I’m currently employed as a mergers and acquisitions intern at a management consulting firm focused on the architecture, engineering and construction industries and I support both buy and sell-side transactions, but my passion lies within the real estate industry. 

My end-goal would be to learn the ins and outs of the industry in order to earn passive income and steadily do more and more profitable and complex deals. I have attended a handful of RE meetups in the past 

My Skills

My short-term goal is to learn from, contribute to, and build value to an existing operation near the Boston area. I have baseline financial knowledge (taking Real Estate Investments during the Fall semester), I have the passion and drive to learn the business. I've read several books including Rich Dad, Poor Dad and a handful of Brandon Turner's books too. I'm eager to learn the business and will do what it takes to be successful.

Basically, I'm looking for an entry-level position that will give me the opportunity to learn as well as to add value to someone's company. 

I look forward to getting to know some local real estate investors and learning from your experiences.

--

Nate

I apologize is this is the wrong place to post this.

Nate,

Great ambition!  Congratulations on nearing graduation from college.  Sounds like you have a lot of great stuff going on.

I would keep researching real estate as you're doing, graduate, get a good paying job (maybe in real estate, maybe not) and work on saving cash for your first deal.  Maybe a good duplex or triplex to hack?  If that doesn't satisfy your need to be in real estate, work part time for a property manager (in addition to your job), collecting rent or getting apartments ready for rent.  You'll learn a ton there and make connections.  

It's all about being in the game, keeping  your mind focused and networking.  Deals will come.

Good Luck,

Chris

Originally posted by @Chris Sellers :

Nate,

Great ambition!  Congratulations on nearing graduation from college.  Sounds like you have a lot of great stuff going on.

I would keep researching real estate as you're doing, graduate, get a good paying job (maybe in real estate, maybe not) and work on saving cash for your first deal.  Maybe a good duplex or triplex to hack?  If that doesn't satisfy your need to be in real estate, work part time for a property manager (in addition to your job), collecting rent or getting apartments ready for rent.  You'll learn a ton there and make connections.  

It's all about being in the game, keeping  your mind focused and networking.  Deals will come.

Good Luck,

Chris

Chris,

Great idea about working for a property manager. I hadn't even thought about that. As far as your other point, house hacking is going to be my first priority (once it makes financial sense) for me once I'm finished with college next Spring. Do you know of anywhere I can look over an example deal analysis to get my feet wet in doing my own financial spread of a property?

Again, thank you for your response!

@Nate Wentworth if you start with multi family this early in your life, especially house hacking, then you will be set for life.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investme...

There are calculators here on BP that you should familiarize yourself with, and Brandon has done many tutorials and webinars on how to analyze deals...

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/01/1...

so I suggest finding potential deals in your area and start running the numbers to see if they make sense. A good house hack will allow you to live virtually for free.

Use www.rentometer.com to determine rents or consult a local agent or property manager.

Finally, pick up a copy of Multi-Family Millions by Dave Lindahl.

Good luck!