Need Help i found mold

6 Replies

I need to pay off my house at the end of the month but I found something i'm not liking, I thank i have mold in my acetic. It is very damp in my acetic. I found out when i look up at my bedroom ceiling and found ripples in my paint. I'm going to get a home inspector in here this week. What can i do if i find out there is, I have a 7 month old baby and what can happen if i leave will i get sued for wear and tear or anything like that in Michigan. Thanks a lot i need info from everybody lawyers, investors, etc

Is your roof leaking?   Is your attic adequately vented?

@Mike Crossman
My inspector found mold in the attic of a house I was looking to purchase. The seller ended up paying 1k to have it remediated so we could go through with the purchase. See about having a professional remediation company come out and blast it away.

Bit confused on the "have to pay off my house" part - do you mean like a due-on-sale clause or something...?

But as far as the mold goes, there's a distinction you'll want to make between a home inspector, and a mold inspector: Not all home inspectors are authorized/qualified to do mold testing. So ask before he/she comes. Mold sampling (the testing of the specific areas you see mold growth is usually for the toxic molds -- problematic ones) is a type of testing that's different than the general "air-quality" tests. 

From there, he/she will be better able to assess your needs and offer advice about remedies better than any of us here. Once he gives you a written price range for the work, just be prepared like any seller would need to be, to make it right, by either 1) making the repairs necessary, or 2) paying for the repairs to be done by the buyer (like offering a credit at closing for the amount quoted, or putting the money in escrow, etc)...does that help any? If you feel you still need legal advice after speaking with him/her, ask the inspector for 2-3 referrals for a great REAL ESTATE attorney in town, and go from there.  

Quick note: By saying "general air-quality" I didn't mean to imply air testing is less useful. The concern with mold is when it becomes airborne (able to be inhaled by infants/health-compromised individuals, etc). I was just making sure you understand there's a difference between the two types. 

Also, some mold inspectors offer remediation themselves (like ServPro, etc), and some locales don't allow it due to the conflict of interest. Your LOCAL inspectors will be able to tell you once you make enough calls around to them...Hope that's helpful...

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here