Plumbing, fencing, fireplace recommendations

18 Replies

Hi all - In the process of a buying a home in SLP and converting my current townhome into a rental. Does anyone have any good recommendations for the following:

1. Plumber - need to replace a bathtub and the guy I usually use isn’t available

2. Fence installation - want to fence in the backyard. I have some handymen who could do it but think I might need a survey and permit so wanted to get a professional opinion

3. Fireplace - want to convert 2 wood burning fireplaces to gas

Thanks!

My advice is to call city of SLP and talk to them first since they are notoriously difficult with inspections 

For gas fireplaces - I've checked into it 2 months ago, contacted 2 or 3 different shops and the quote is about the same, maybe $100-200 difference. It's about $4,500 per fireplace.

I have also used Mike at My Plumber Inc.  I've been happy with their work. 

For survey, I just used EDS to do a boundary location for an addition.  They are less expensive if all you need it to find the boundary and not a full survey.  http://www.edsmn.com/index.html

Check with the someone at the city to make sure what they require for the survey. 

@Jason Tanker

You will need a permit for the fence.  I would have the fencing company handle everything.  They should have a survey company on  hand and or have worked with several in the past.  You will need to find the corner property stakes which is why you may need a survey.

I agree with @Bruce Runn to an extent - SLP can be a PITA, it just depends on who you deal with.  I started out with my first flip in SLP, was ~21 years old, new nothing, they let me pull all plumbing, electrical, and building permits on my own.  Looking back it is somewhat funny, I had no idea what the plumbing and electrical requirements were for being able to work on your own place.  After pulling permits at random the building inspector showed up and he brought the plumbing and electrical inspector with.  This house was a mess and they were quizzing me on whether I was living there, intended to, etc.  I didn't know the answers and was honest, don't know if I plan to live there but probably not.  Then the plumbing guy said I had to live there to complete the work and I said "well I could easily throw a bed down but it wouldn't be as comfortable".  They looked at each other, must have decided they would watch me a bit closer and let me proceed with all permits. :)  I had one issue where I didn't pass an electrical inspection because I knocked out the entire clips on a plastic box but he said he would come back later in the day.  The building guy was not fun but upon re-inspection we realized who we had to work with and it was clear sailing.

As @Pavel U. mentioned, the costs are similar, those are in line with what we have seen.  The CSST lines and fittings are pretty cheap and easy to install if you know a little bit about  plumbing.  Could be a DIY project if you are handy but because you are dealing with gas I would not touch it unless you are comfortable.

Originally posted by @Jason Tanker :

Thanks @Jim Adrian, any recommendations for a fencing company?

Nope.  Sorry, not from your area. Just a few states away.  Good Luck. 

Getting a permit for a fence took about 10 minutes with a visit to the SLP city office.  They pulled up a survey done when the house was built, I highlighted where I wanted the fence and a few days later they called and said the permit was approved.  The permit was $15 dollars if I remember correctly.  The materials for my fence were about $3000, 28 Posts, 2 gates.  Not sure what a contractor would charge because I did mine myself.    Best of luck! 

Originally posted by @Isaac Braun :

Getting a permit for a fence took about 10 minutes with a visit to the SLP city office.  They pulled up a survey done when the house was built, I highlighted where I wanted the fence and a few days later they called and said the permit was approved.  The permit was $15 dollars if I remember correctly.  The materials for my fence were about $3000, 28 Posts, 2 gates.  Not sure what a contractor would charge because I did mine myself.    Best of luck! 

I am definitely surprised that they pulled up a prior survey.  Cities seem to go two ways on this, require the permit holder to get a survey or they require you to get all of your neighbors signatures before approving a fence.  Negotiating a boundary can be easy when all 3 neighbors already have fences up, it can be hard if you are establishing the property line with your fence.

Looking at SLP website they require a site plan OR a survey.  They give some tips on how to locate but ultimately reading down they want you to get a survey: https://www.stlouispark.org/home/showdocument?id=3626

@John Woodrich   Do you think I'll have to get a survey even though they gave me the permit?  If so, I had a feeling that the process was too easy..  I even measured out the fence line to the inch of what the old survey showed.  

@John Woodrich  Do you think I'll have to get a survey even though they gave me the permit?  If so, I had a feeling that the process was too easy..  I even measured out the fence line to the inch of what the old survey showed.  

If your neighbors have fences already I wouldn't worry about it.  If you read the SLP link I posted your fence has to be on your property, not on the property line.  So you could go with putting up a fence but if you are looking to try and get it on the line at a minimum I would confirm the location with your neighbors.  Last thing you want to do is install the fence, have them measure and make you re-do it.

Curious - are you really going to install a fence in the winter??  

@John Woodrich I installed the fence right before thanksgiving, shortly after the permit was approved.  So, if they come out to measure and they find my measurements are off, Id have to move my fence.   One neighbor has a partial fence but the other neighbor has no fence.   (I live on a corner lot) 

@John Woodrich I installed the fence right before thanksgiving, shortly after the permit was approved.  So, if they come out to measure and they find my measurements are off, Id have to move my fence.   One neighbor has a partial fence but the other neighbor has no fence.   (I live on a corner lot) 

Sorry - confused you for the original poster!  If you havne't had issue I imagine you wont.